What is window system interface and application-specific parts - Motif

This is a discussion on What is window system interface and application-specific parts - Motif ; Hello! I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and I wonder if you out there understand the last part of this text where I have written "start here" . More exactly what is application-specific parts of the ...

  1. What is window system interface and application-specific parts

    Hello!

    I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and I
    wonder if you out there understand the last part of this text where I have
    written "start here" .
    More exactly what is application-specific parts of the interface?
    What is window system interface ? Is win32 a window system interface!

    A windowing system is a software package that helps the user monitor and
    control different contexts by separating them physically onto different
    parts of one or more display screens [Myers 1988b]. Although most of today's
    systems provide toolkits on top of the windowing systems, as will be
    explained below, toolkits generally only address the drawing of widgets such
    as buttons, menus and scroll bars.
    Start here:
    Thus, when the programmer wants to draw application-specific parts of the
    interface and allow the user to manipulate these, the window system
    interface must be used directly. Therefore, the windowing system's
    programming interface has significant impact on most user interface
    programmers.

    //Tony

  2. Re: What is window system interface and application-specific parts

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and I
    > wonder if you out there understand the last part of this text where I have
    > written "start here" .
    > More exactly what is application-specific parts of the interface?
    > What is window system interface ? Is win32 a window system interface!

    Not win32, that is too vague. Think GDI.

    > A windowing system is a software package that helps the user monitor and
    > control different contexts by separating them physically onto different
    > parts of one or more display screens [Myers 1988b]. Although most of today's
    > systems provide toolkits on top of the windowing systems, as will be
    > explained below, toolkits generally only address the drawing of widgets such
    > as buttons, menus and scroll bars.
    > Start here:
    > Thus, when the programmer wants to draw

    DRAW is the important word. It means some look-and-feel that is NOT
    implemented by the toolkit. Eg a 2D drawing with hot spots when you dont
    have an HTML widget.

    > application-specific parts of the
    > interface

    If that part of the UI were not application-specific, then it would be
    generic and probably implemented by the toolkit.

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

+ Reply to Thread