What is motif actually - Motif

This is a discussion on What is motif actually - Motif ; Hello Experts! I'm a student at Karlstads university and I going to write some pages about motif. I have worked on a OpenVMS plattform where we actually used motif but I don't know so much about it that's why I ...

  1. What is motif actually

    Hello Experts!

    I'm a student at Karlstads university and I going to write some pages about
    motif.
    I have worked on a OpenVMS plattform where we actually used motif but I
    don't know so much about it that's why I ask you out there.

    For example Linux and Macintosh use a windowing system called X11.
    The windowing system for Microsoft is called as you all know windows.

    So my question is what is motif? Is it a windowing system like X11 or...?

    1.Things that I want to know is for example have you any good sites where I
    can read about
    motif ?
    2. Is it a toolkit included in motif where you can create Grafical User
    Interfaces(GUI).
    3. If you can create GUI by using motif how do you do it ? I mean can you
    use some kind
    of GUI editor that helps you creating the GUI or do you use a lot of api
    calls to create the GUI.
    Compare MFC and win32.
    4. If you compare motif and x windows what is the difference ?
    5. Can you mention some operating system where you use motif.
    6. I want to know as much as possible about motif.

    //Tony

  2. Re: What is motif actually

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > So my question is what is motif? Is it a windowing system like X11 or...?

    x11 is a rather primitive windowing protocol.

    Motif is a higher level interface to X11 which does a lot more stuff on your
    behalf. Motif provides pre-built widgets that use lower level X functions to
    draw the objects, making life much easier for you.

    A program running on a Motif equipped host can have its output displayed on an
    X server which doesn't have Motif since all of the motif stuff is converted to
    pure X protocol.

    Motif is to a higher level language what X11 is to assembler.

    Gnome, KDE are also at the same level.

  3. Re: What is motif actually

    In article <41B67F28.58104DD7@teksavvy.com> JF Mezei writes:
    >Tony Johansson wrote:
    >> So my question is what is motif? Is it a windowing system like X11 or...?

    >x11 is a rather primitive windowing protocol.
    >
    >Motif is a higher level interface to X11 which does a lot more stuff on your
    >behalf. Motif provides pre-built widgets that use lower level X functions to
    >draw the objects, making life much easier for you.

    Or, to be more exact, Motif is a set of widgets built upon the Xt (X toolkit)
    layer.

    X11 is primarily a drawing and event handling layer. This layer is common
    to all drawing packages and desktops (Qt, KDE, GNOME, etc.).

    Xt is one definition of how to build widgets and have them work together.

    Motif is a set of widgets and gadgets (lightweight widgets) built using the
    Xt protocal and API.

    An earlier widget set are the Athena widgets, which are in the Xaw library
    (IIRC).

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "Time's fun when you're having flies!"

  4. Re: What is motif actually

    "Tony Johansson" wrote in
    > I'm a student at Karlstads university and I going to write some pages
    > about motif.

    My web site has a copy of the Motif FAQ, which describes what is Motif and
    how to use it.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  5. Re: What is motif actually

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > Gnome, KDE are also at the same level.

    No, GNOME and KDE are user environments, comparable to CDE, which uses
    Motif.

    Each of those environments has a preferred toolkit. GTK (used by GNOME)
    and Qt (used by KDE) are at the "same level" as Motif.

  6. Re: What is motif actually

    ST wrote:
    > Each of those environments has a preferred toolkit. GTK (used by GNOME)
    > and Qt (used by KDE) are at the "same level" as Motif.

    Do both make use of Xt (intrinsics), or do they have their own
    equivalent for that level which then cal;ls the lower level X routines ?

  7. Re: What is motif actually

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > Do both make use of Xt (intrinsics),

    No. Qt and GTK both avoid the Intrinsics ("Xt") and implment their own
    style of object hiearchies, event handling, etc.

    > or do they have their own
    > equivalent for that level which then cal;ls the lower level X routines

    Yes, they both call Xlib directly to do their drawing. The nice thing
    is that, unlike Motif, they *also* can be use other graphic systems,
    e.g., Qt for Windows and Mac.

+ Reply to Thread