Porting SunOS' Devguide to Motif/Linux - Motif

This is a discussion on Porting SunOS' Devguide to Motif/Linux - Motif ; Hello all, I've got a huge application made with Sun Microsystems' Devguide under SunOS 4 (Solaris 1), and I would like to port it to Linux (yes... just like that). The "logic part" of the application is made with another ...

  1. Porting SunOS' Devguide to Motif/Linux

    Hello all,

    I've got a huge application made with Sun Microsystems' Devguide under SunOS
    4 (Solaris 1), and I would like to port it to Linux (yes... just like that).
    The "logic part" of the application is made with another language, but
    there's still a lot of "logic" made in C that includes X libraries. And this
    is what worries me the most.

    My first idea was to port it to Motif (looks very similar because it's kind
    of C, and I think there are free Motif compilers for Linux). My question is,
    how hard this option will be? Are there automatic tools to translate from
    Devguide to Motif? Has anyone done such thing? Any good advice for this?

    If you have tried this or you just think this option is crazy (as I do),
    maybe you know any other ways to get rid of Devguide. Thanks,
    /vrenna

  2. Re: Porting SunOS' Devguide to Motif/Linux

    vrenna wrote:

    > I've got a huge application made with Sun Microsystems' Devguide under SunOS
    > 4 (Solaris 1), and I would like to port it to Linux (yes... just like that).
    > The "logic part" of the application is made with another language, but
    > there's still a lot of "logic" made in C that includes X libraries. And this
    > is what worries me the most.
    >
    > My first idea was to port it to Motif (looks very similar because it's kind
    > of C, and I think there are free Motif compilers for Linux). My question is,
    > how hard this option will be? Are there automatic tools to translate from
    > Devguide to Motif? Has anyone done such thing? Any good advice for this?
    >
    > If you have tried this or you just think this option is crazy (as I do),
    > maybe you know any other ways to get rid of Devguide. Thanks,

    We did this a long time ago and there are no converters for anything that are
    any good. If you switch to Motif or anything for that matter, you are going
    to have to redo all the GUIs and depending on how intermixed your logic is
    with the GUIs, you are going to rewrite code.

    Honestly, if I were you, I would try switching to Qt. This way, if you have
    to rewrite everything, at least you'll get some Windows/Mac support in the
    future and will not have to do this exercise again in the near future when
    your customer decides they need it to run on Windows.

    Joey

+ Reply to Thread