example for non-default visual app shells - Motif

This is a discussion on example for non-default visual app shells - Motif ; Dear all, does anybody have a (simple but non-trivial) working example on how to code up an application shell + widgets that use a non-default visual/depth/colormap? I got some code snippet from http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-5.html that on its own seems to work, ...

  1. example for non-default visual app shells

    Dear all,

    does anybody have a (simple but non-trivial) working example on how to code
    up an application shell + widgets that use a non-default
    visual/depth/colormap?

    I got some code snippet from http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-5.html
    that on its own seems to work, but when I try to do anything more fancy, I
    get either all sorts of problems (BadValue (X_QueryColors), BadMatch
    (X_CreateWindow)).

    thx a lot,
    H.

  2. Re: example for non-default visual app shells

    Hans Horn wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > does anybody have a (simple but non-trivial) working example on how to code
    > up an application shell + widgets that use a non-default
    > visual/depth/colormap?

    Do you really want the non-default visual on *all* your widgets? If you
    want it only for say a DrawingArea, there is a special widget for that,
    I can mail it to you if you want.

    > I got some code snippet from http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-5.html
    > that on its own seems to work, but when I try to do anything more fancy, I
    > get either all sorts of problems (BadValue (X_QueryColors), BadMatch
    > (X_CreateWindow)).

    If the code at the URL works, but yours does not, how can we help if you
    dont post the failing code, nor the exact problems you have? Please post
    the minimum 'fancy' that causes problems (and I think the xdpyinfo
    output has to be posted too)

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

  3. Re: example for non-default visual app shells

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    [snip]
    > Do you really want the non-default visual on *all* your widgets? If
    > you want it only for say a DrawingArea, there is a special widget for
    > that, I can mail it to you if you want.

    Yup, if you wouldn't mind?

    [snip]
    > If the code at the URL works, but yours does not, how can we help if
    > you dont post the failing code, nor the exact problems you have?
    > Please post the minimum 'fancy' that causes problems (and I think the
    > xdpyinfo output has to be posted too)

    I will post a minimum mod to the code at the URL that barfs (once I'm at
    work later today).

    thx INF,
    H.

  4. Re: example for non-default visual app shells

    Dear Michel,

    after a long delay I'd like to thank you for the sources you'd sent me
    (which I didn't need at the end of the day).

    I finally figured out what was wrong with the rest of my code.
    Even though I had successfully changed visual/colormap/depth on my main
    shell (using the snippet from
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-5.html),
    other parts of the code directly or indirectly either accessed the
    defaultcolormap, the defaultdepth etc.
    Took a while to find all those - but now - voila!

    again thx INF and happy holidays,

    Hans.

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > Hans Horn wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> does anybody have a (simple but non-trivial) working example on how
    >> to code up an application shell + widgets that use a non-default
    >> visual/depth/colormap?

    > Do you really want the non-default visual on *all* your widgets? If
    > you want it only for say a DrawingArea, there is a special widget for
    > that, I can mail it to you if you want.
    >

    >> I got some code snippet from
    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-5.html that on its own seems
    >> to work, but when I try to do anything more fancy, I get either all
    >> sorts of problems (BadValue (X_QueryColors), BadMatch
    >> (X_CreateWindow)).

    > If the code at the URL works, but yours does not, how can we help if
    > you dont post the failing code, nor the exact problems you have?
    > Please post the minimum 'fancy' that causes problems (and I think the
    > xdpyinfo output has to be posted too)
    >

    >> thx a lot,
    >> H.

+ Reply to Thread