UIL compiler problems - Motif

This is a discussion on UIL compiler problems - Motif ; Hi - We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I get: baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil baker9 # ls -l a.uid -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker ...

  1. UIL compiler problems

    Hi -

    We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL
    compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I
    get:

    baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    baker9 # ls -l a.uid
    -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 20480 2004-11-18 07:44 a.uid

    BUT if I compile with a UIL compiler we bought from Metrolink
    (www.metrolink.com) I get:

    baker9 # uil new_robem.uil -o b.uid
    baker9 # ls -l b.uid
    -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 651264 2004-11-18 07:49 b.uid

    You'll notice that the second is MUCH larger than the first.

    Now my app tries to read these and with the Metrolink compiler
    everything is fine - it reeads the entire interface (very complex) no
    problem. If I use the first (a.uid) my app complains that it can't
    find MANY of the widgets (e.g. when in the code I call
    MrmFetchWidget()).

    My problem is that Metrolink seems to have gone out of business???
    But barring that I would rather use the UIL compiler that is the
    standard one for the OS if I can. I don't mind rewriting my UIL code
    if necessary ...

    Does anyone have any advice for me??? Is my UIL file too complex for
    the standard Debian compiler ?? If so why doesn't it complain??? Is
    Metrolink really belly-up and/or is there any standard out there for
    UIL compilers???

    Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!!

    Rob Ashmore
    rwa@purdue.edu

  2. Re: UIL compiler problems

    Rob wrote:
    > You'll notice that the second is MUCH larger than the first.

    Do the 2 compilers have the same default MWD files ? Could that make a
    difference ?

    Seems to me though that the first compiler should at least complain if it is
    unable to parse a certain construct (either because the WMD it is using
    doesn't have definitions for that construct or whatever).

    Is there any pattern to the missing widgets when your app tries to fetch them
    from the first (smaller) file ? Are they all the same type ? Or totally
    random ?

  3. Re: UIL compiler problems

    Hi Rob,

    > We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL
    > compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I
    > get:
    >
    > baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    > baker9 # ls -l a.uid
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 20480 2004-11-18 07:44 a.uid

    What's the exit status of the uil command, i.e. do

    /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    echo $?

    As your input is very complex perhaps you are breaking the Debian uil
    command. The exit status may show this. Bugs can be reported to Debian
    using the reportbug(1) command or see http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

    Alternatively, the strace(1) and ltrace(1) commands may help observe
    uil.

    Cheers,

    Ralph.

  4. Re: UIL compiler problems

    Just try XFacemaker 4.0!!!
    http://www.nsl.fr

    "Rob" a écrit dans le message de
    news:f4123913.0411180454.5a81064b@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi -
    >
    > We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL
    > compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I
    > get:
    >
    > baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    > baker9 # ls -l a.uid
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 20480 2004-11-18 07:44 a.uid
    >
    > BUT if I compile with a UIL compiler we bought from Metrolink
    > (www.metrolink.com) I get:
    >
    > baker9 # uil new_robem.uil -o b.uid
    > baker9 # ls -l b.uid
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 651264 2004-11-18 07:49 b.uid
    >
    > You'll notice that the second is MUCH larger than the first.
    >
    > Now my app tries to read these and with the Metrolink compiler
    > everything is fine - it reeads the entire interface (very complex) no
    > problem. If I use the first (a.uid) my app complains that it can't
    > find MANY of the widgets (e.g. when in the code I call
    > MrmFetchWidget()).
    >
    > My problem is that Metrolink seems to have gone out of business???
    > But barring that I would rather use the UIL compiler that is the
    > standard one for the OS if I can. I don't mind rewriting my UIL code
    > if necessary ...
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice for me??? Is my UIL file too complex for
    > the standard Debian compiler ?? If so why doesn't it complain??? Is
    > Metrolink really belly-up and/or is there any standard out there for
    > UIL compilers???
    >
    > Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!!
    >
    > Rob Ashmore
    > rwa@purdue.edu

  5. Re: UIL compiler problems

    I'm unfaniliar with either MWD or WMD files... IS there a way I can check these???

    Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!

    Rob
    --------------

    JF Mezei wrote in message news:<419CBFAF.858A7E22@teksavvy.com>...
    > Rob wrote:
    > > You'll notice that the second is MUCH larger than the first.

    > Do the 2 compilers have the same default MWD files ? Could that make a
    > difference ?
    >
    > Seems to me though that the first compiler should at least complain if it is
    > unable to parse a certain construct (either because the WMD it is using
    > doesn't have definitions for that construct or whatever).
    >
    > Is there any pattern to the missing widgets when your app tries to fetch them
    > from the first (smaller) file ? Are they all the same type ? Or totally
    > random ?

  6. Re: UIL compiler problems

    baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    baker9 # echo $?
    0

    :-(

    Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!!

    Rob
    -------------

    ralph@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) wrote in message news:<1777.419dc590.434d8@blake.inputplus.co.uk>...
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > > We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL
    > > compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I
    > > get:
    > >
    > > baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    > > baker9 # ls -l a.uid
    > > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 20480 2004-11-18 07:44 a.uid

    > What's the exit status of the uil command, i.e. do
    >
    > /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    > echo $?
    >
    > As your input is very complex perhaps you are breaking the Debian uil
    > command. The exit status may show this. Bugs can be reported to Debian
    > using the reportbug(1) command or see http://www.debian.org/Bugs/
    >
    > Alternatively, the strace(1) and ltrace(1) commands may help observe
    > uil.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

    > Ralph.

  7. Re: UIL compiler problems

    Thanks Pascal!! Do you have any feeling on the survivability of
    nsl.fr and/or MOTIF in general???

    ???

    Rob
    ------------------

    "Pascal COLEAUX" wrote in message news:<41a3a712$0$10777$7a628cd7@news.club-internet.fr>...
    > Just try XFacemaker 4.0!!!
    > http://www.nsl.fr
    >

    > "Rob" a écrit dans le message de
    > news:f4123913.0411180454.5a81064b@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi -
    > >
    > > We're running Debian here and I'm having trouble withb the UIL
    > > compiler (MOTIF) that comes with the OS. When I compile using it I
    > > get:
    > >
    > > baker9 # /usr/bin/X11/uil new_robem.uil
    > > baker9 # ls -l a.uid
    > > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 20480 2004-11-18 07:44 a.uid
    > >
    > > BUT if I compile with a UIL compiler we bought from Metrolink
    > > (www.metrolink.com) I get:
    > >
    > > baker9 # uil new_robem.uil -o b.uid
    > > baker9 # ls -l b.uid
    > > -rw-r--r-- 1 rwa baker 651264 2004-11-18 07:49 b.uid
    > >
    > > You'll notice that the second is MUCH larger than the first.
    > >
    > > Now my app tries to read these and with the Metrolink compiler
    > > everything is fine - it reeads the entire interface (very complex) no
    > > problem. If I use the first (a.uid) my app complains that it can't
    > > find MANY of the widgets (e.g. when in the code I call
    > > MrmFetchWidget()).
    > >
    > > My problem is that Metrolink seems to have gone out of business???
    > > But barring that I would rather use the UIL compiler that is the
    > > standard one for the OS if I can. I don't mind rewriting my UIL code
    > > if necessary ...
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any advice for me??? Is my UIL file too complex for
    > > the standard Debian compiler ?? If so why doesn't it complain??? Is
    > > Metrolink really belly-up and/or is there any standard out there for
    > > UIL compilers???
    > >
    > > Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!!
    > >
    > > Rob Ashmore
    > > rwa@purdue.edu

  8. Re: UIL compiler problems

    Rob wrote:

    > I'm unfaniliar with either MWD or WMD files... IS there a way I can check these???

    WML files are source files. They are to UIL what DTD are to HTML: they define
    the allowed syntax and keywords.

    So when you use the UIL compiler, the UIL program uses the WML file to
    determine how to compile the .uil source file and how to check its syntax.

    WML files are source files, and are compiled to .WMD files (these are the ones
    actually read by the UIL compiler).

    WML = widget meta language.

    So if different UIL compilers use different .WML/.W'D files, then the
    resulting .UID files will be different.

+ Reply to Thread