Windomanager border width and height - Motif

This is a discussion on Windomanager border width and height - Motif ; Hi, we are using the CDE (dtwm) with Solaris 8. At runtime we must determine the width and the height of the windowmanager frame (border). Can someone give me a hint, how to do this? Thanks for your support Ciao ...

  1. Windomanager border width and height

    Hi,

    we are using the CDE (dtwm) with Solaris 8. At runtime we must determine the
    width and the height of the windowmanager frame (border). Can someone give
    me a hint, how to do this?
    Thanks for your support
    Ciao
    Herbert

  2. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    In article "Herbert" writes:
    >we are using the CDE (dtwm) with Solaris 8. At runtime we must determine the
    >width and the height of the windowmanager frame (border). Can someone give
    >me a hint, how to do this?

    Use XGetGeometry() to get the width/height of the application shell window,
    then use XQueryTree() to find the window manager border, then use XGetGeometry()
    to access the width/height information about it and compare that to the shell
    window info.

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "Give to every man the fruit of his own labor - the labor of his hand
    and of his brain."
    -Robert G. Ingersoll

  3. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    Pete nospam Zakel wrote:
    > In article "Herbert" writes:
    >
    >>we are using the CDE (dtwm) with Solaris 8. At runtime we must determine the
    >>width and the height of the windowmanager frame (border). Can someone give
    >>me a hint, how to do this?

    > Use XGetGeometry() to get the width/height of the application shell window,
    > then use XQueryTree() to find the window manager border, then use XGetGeometry()
    > to access the width/height information about it and compare that to the shell
    > window info.
    >
    > -Pete Zakel
    > (phz@seeheader.nospam)
    >
    > "Give to every man the fruit of his own labor - the labor of his hand
    > and of his brain."
    > -Robert G. Ingersoll

    Hello,

    thank you very much for your hint, I will try it this week. One =
    additional question. This technique does only work, if the window is =
    realised. Is there a possiblity to determine the width/height without a =
    window? Is there an API, where I can directly ask the windowmanager =
    (using some ATOMs?)

    Thanks again for your help.

    Ciao
    Herbert

  4. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    In article Herbert writes:
    >thank you very much for your hint, I will try it this week. One =
    >additional question. This technique does only work, if the window is =
    >realised. Is there a possiblity to determine the width/height without a =
    >window? Is there an API, where I can directly ask the windowmanager =
    >(using some ATOMs?)

    I'm not aware of any such API. It would probably be different for each
    window manager (Motif-compliant, GNOME, KDE...).

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "If you stay up all night wondering where the sun is, it will dawn on you."

  5. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    Herbert wrote in
    > Is there a possiblity to determine the width/height without a
    > window? Is there an API, where I can directly ask the windowmanager

    Subject 58 in the Motif FAQ. My web site has a copy of the FAQ.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  6. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    Ken Lee wrote:
    > Herbert wrote in
    >
    >>Is there a possiblity to determine the width/height without a
    >>window? Is there an API, where I can directly ask the windowmanager

    > Subject 58 in the Motif FAQ. My web site has a copy of the FAQ.
    >
    > Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

    I copied the Subject 58 of the Motif FAQ.
    I do not really understand the connex, if I want to get the width and
    height of the windowmanager border frame. Please could you give me a
    hint. Thanks a lot.
    ciao
    Herbert

    Subject: 58) Is there an ICCCM compliant way of setting window manager
    decorations?

    Answer: Tom LaStrange (toml@LaStrange.COM) writes: "No, there is no ICCCM
    portable way to alter decorations."

  7. Re: Windomanager border width and height

    In article Herbert writes:

    >I do not really understand the connex, if I want to get the width and
    >height of the windowmanager border frame. Please could you give me a
    >hint. Thanks a lot.

    Use XGetGeometry() to get the width/height of the application shell widget.
    Use XQueryTree() to get the parent (and on up) of the application shell widget
    until XGetGeometry tells you it has a different width/height (or until you
    cannot go up any farther).

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "You cannot kill time without injuring eternity."

+ Reply to Thread