UIL: specifying font in compound_string - Motif

This is a discussion on UIL: specifying font in compound_string - Motif ; Ok, I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I have looked and looked and could not find a definitive answer. I have a UIL contruct such as: compound_string('Hello', separate=true) & compound_string('world') ; I found the "separate=true" in example ...

  1. UIL: specifying font in compound_string

    Ok, I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I have looked and looked
    and could not find a definitive answer.

    I have a UIL contruct such as:

    compound_string('Hello', separate=true) & compound_string('world') ;

    I found the "separate=true" in example UIL files. But I can't seem to find any
    documentation that defines what else can be put in the compound_string
    command. Where would this doc be hidden ?

    And more importantly, how can I specify the font specific for "Hello" and not
    for "world" ?

    So let's say I have a "big_font" defined in UIL.
    value
    big_font: font(-adobe-times-bold-r-normal-*-18-etc-iso8859-1');

    What is the syntax of UIL's compound_string to speccify the font ?

    (I am still at Motif 1.2 thanks to HP not upgrading VAX VMS's Xwindows anymore).

  2. Re: UIL: specifying font in compound_string

    JF Mezei wrote in message news:<4163B819.1A23A976@teksavvy.com>...
    > Ok, I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I have looked and looked
    > and could not find a definitive answer.
    >
    > I have a UIL contruct such as:
    >
    > compound_string('Hello', separate=true) & compound_string('world') ;
    >
    > I found the "separate=true" in example UIL files. But I can't seem to find any
    > documentation that defines what else can be put in the compound_string
    > command. Where would this doc be hidden ?
    >
    > And more importantly, how can I specify the font specific for "Hello" and not
    > for "world" ?
    >
    > So let's say I have a "big_font" defined in UIL.
    > value
    > big_font: font(-adobe-times-bold-r-normal-*-18-etc-iso8859-1');
    >

    > What is the syntax of UIL's compound_string to speccify the font ?
    >
    > (I am still at Motif 1.2 thanks to HP not upgrading VAX VMS's Xwindows anymore).

    XmNfontList =big_font;

    example
    command_lab : XmLabel {
    arguments {
    XmNleftAttachment = XmATTACH_FORM;
    XmNrightAttachment = XmATTACH_FORM;
    XmNlabelString = compound_string("Command Box");
    XmNfontList = big_font;
    XmNbackground = lightgray;
    };

  3. Re: UIL: specifying font in compound_string

    zembla wrote:
    > command_lab : XmLabel {
    > arguments {
    > XmNleftAttachment = XmATTACH_FORM;
    > XmNrightAttachment = XmATTACH_FORM;
    > XmNlabelString = compound_string("Command Box");
    > XmNfontList = big_font;
    > XmNbackground = lightgray;
    > };

    Thanks, but that is the documented portion (specifying font or a simple
    compund string.

    I eventually did find out how to do it:

    value
    font_bold: font('-DEC-Terminal-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-75-75-C-80-ISO8859-1');
    font_big: font('-Bitstream-Terminal-Bold-R-Wide--18-180-75-75-C-140-ISO8859-1');

    styles : font_table( iso_latin1 = font_bold ,
    character_set('latin_big') = font_big);

    then later on:

    object about_dialog : XmInformationDialog {
    arguments {
    XmNlabelFontList = styles ;
    XmNdialogTitle = "About Chocolate" ;
    XmNmessageString =
    compound_string(#character_set('latin_big') "Chocolate delicacies", separate=true)`
    compound_string("", separate=true) &
    compound_string("Version 1.0 Oct 2004);
    etc

    in this example, text appears as "font_bold" except for the "Chocolate
    Delicacies" which appear in font_big because it is written in a special
    character_set "latin_big"

+ Reply to Thread