how read combobox ? - Motif

This is a discussion on how read combobox ? - Motif ; hello, when I click on a button, I would like read text from a combo box ( the selected text ); how to do ? I just know the ID of widget of the combobox. ( I want not use ...

  1. how read combobox ?

    hello,

    when I click on a button, I would like read text from a combo box ( the
    selected text );
    how to do ? I just know the ID of widget of the combobox. ( I want not use
    callback)

    thanks

    vincent

  2. Re: how read combobox ?

    Didier wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > when I click on a button, I would like read text from a combo box ( the
    > selected text );
    > how to do ? I just know the ID of widget of the combobox. ( I want not use
    > callback)
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > vincent

    XmString item;
    XtVaGetValues( combobox, XmNselectedItem, &item, NULL );

    /* you must free this when you are done with it */
    XmStringFree( item );
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: how read combobox ?

    > XmString item;
    > XtVaGetValues( combobox, XmNselectedItem, &item, NULL );
    >
    > /* you must free this when you are done with it */
    > XmStringFree( item );

    I have try this, but it dont work, item return adress and not string !?
    an idea ?

    thanks

    vinvent

  4. Re: how read combobox ?

    Didier wrote:

    > > XmString item;
    > > XtVaGetValues( combobox, XmNselectedItem, &item, NULL );
    > >
    > > /* you must free this when you are done with it */
    > > XmStringFree( item );

    > I have try this, but it dont work, item return adress and not string !?
    > an idea ?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > vinvent

    XmNselectedItem is an XmString, not a string. To convert it to a string,
    you need to use one or more of of the XmStringGet... functions. Try
    char *str;
    XmString item;
    XtVaGetValues( combobox, XmNselectedItem, &item, NULL );
    XmStringGetLtoR( item, XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG, &str );
    XmStringFree(item);

    /* ... and you will also have to free the string eventually: */
    XtFree( str ) ;

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow