Controlling the Appearance of a Selection - Motif

This is a discussion on Controlling the Appearance of a Selection - Motif ; When selecting text in my scrolled lists the text appears as white characters on a black background. Apparently, on certain projectors used by our Sales Team this color combination is unreadable; the white text is washed out and invisible. Is ...

  1. Controlling the Appearance of a Selection

    When selecting text in my scrolled lists the text appears as white characters
    on a black background. Apparently, on certain projectors used by our Sales
    Team this color combination is unreadable; the white text is washed out and
    invisible.

    Is there a global setting I can use to change the color combination used for
    selecting text? Ideally, perhaps, a darker shade of grey as the background,
    with a shadow to suggest a raised bar, and the text remaining black?

    --
    Jake Colman
    Sr. Applications Developer

  2. Re: Controlling the Appearance of a Selection

    Jake Colman wrote:

    > When selecting text in my scrolled lists the text appears as white characters
    > on a black background. Apparently, on certain projectors used by our Sales
    > Team this color combination is unreadable; the white text is washed out and
    > invisible.
    >
    > Is there a global setting I can use to change the color combination used for
    > selecting text? Ideally, perhaps, a darker shade of grey as the background,
    > with a shadow to suggest a raised bar, and the text remaining black?
    >
    > --
    > Jake Colman
    > Sr. Applications Developer
    > Principia Partners LLC
    > Harborside Financial Center
    > 1001 Plaza Two
    > Jersey City, NJ 07311
    > (201) 209-2467
    > www.principiapartners.com

    This will depend on whether you are using Motif1.2 or Motif 2.x.

    In Motif1.2, the selection(s) are painted with inverse colors. that is,
    unselected items are painted with XmNforeground colored text on
    XmNbackground colored background, and selected items are drawn with
    XmNbackground colored text on XmNforeground colored background.

    In Motif2.x, the XmNrenderTable resource can be used to use arbitrary
    colors.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Controlling the Appearance of a Selection

    "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote:
    > Jake Colman wrote:

    > > When selecting text in my scrolled lists the text appears as white characters
    > > on a black background. Apparently, on certain projectors used by our Sales
    > > Team this color combination is unreadable; the white text is washed out and
    > > invisible.
    > >
    > > Is there a global setting I can use to change the color combination used for
    > > selecting text? Ideally, perhaps, a darker shade of grey as the background,
    > > with a shadow to suggest a raised bar, and the text remaining black?

    > This will depend on whether you are using Motif1.2 or Motif 2.x.
    >
    > In Motif1.2, the selection(s) are painted with inverse colors. that is,
    > unselected items are painted with XmNforeground colored text on
    > XmNbackground colored background, and selected items are drawn with
    > XmNbackground colored text on XmNforeground colored background.
    >
    > In Motif2.x, the XmNrenderTable resource can be used to use arbitrary
    > colors.

    The easy solution is to use the XmNselectColor resource to change the
    behaviour, at least in Motif 2.x (haven't used Motif 1.x since last century,
    so I can't recall if it was present back then). Set it to
    XmDEFAULT_SELECT_COLOR or HIGHLIGHT_COLOR to override the default behaviour of
    XmREVERSED_GROUND_COLORS. man XmList for details.

    Another way around the OP's specific problem would be to use a bold font,
    which is a lot more legible in white-on-black mode.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen, Principal Scientist
    Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, Maritime Systems Division

+ Reply to Thread