Xwindows: SAVE-AS question - Motif

This is a discussion on Xwindows: SAVE-AS question - Motif ; When adding a SAVE-AS... menu item in an xwindows program, should one a- use a full fledged file selection menu to allow directory traversal etc, b- or should one just supply a simple dialog asking for a file name ? ...

  1. Xwindows: SAVE-AS question

    When adding a SAVE-AS... menu item in an xwindows program, should one
    a- use a full fledged file selection menu to allow directory traversal etc,
    b- or should one just supply a simple dialog asking for a file name ?

    In the case of a file selection dialogue (VMS specific), any recommendations
    on options that should be turned on/off to simplify the dialogue ? (for
    instance, would it be right to remove the file filter section ?

    In the case of a simple dialogue that asks for a file name, should the default
    directory be assumed to be sys$login (the home directory for that user) ?

    (In my case, the data to be stored comes from aome library that could be in a
    system directory, so it isn't obvious that one would want to SAVE-AS into that directory).

    Any comments ?

  2. Re: Xwindows: SAVE-AS question

    "JF Mezei" schreef in bericht
    news:64c27b7d152ef3dc080e8aac382aa8f0@news.teranew s.com...
    > When adding a SAVE-AS... menu item in an xwindows program, should one
    > a- use a full fledged file selection menu to allow directory traversal

    etc,
    > b- or should one just supply a simple dialog asking for a file name ?
    >
    > In the case of a file selection dialogue (VMS specific), any

    recommendations
    > on options that should be turned on/off to simplify the dialogue ? (for
    > instance, would it be right to remove the file filter section ?
    >
    > In the case of a simple dialogue that asks for a file name, should the

    default
    > directory be assumed to be sys$login (the home directory for that user) ?
    >
    > (In my case, the data to be stored comes from aome library that could be

    in a
    > system directory, so it isn't obvious that one would want to SAVE-AS into

    that directory).

    > Any comments ?

    JF,

    on VMS I'd rather type the name, including the device and directory
    information.
    The file filter is useful, especially in directories with many entries. You
    could restrict the
    file filter for the default filetype and toggle to *.* as an alternative.
    That may be easier to code.

    The default directory ought to be the value of default directory when the X
    application got started.
    Captive applications (or those started from a desktop icon) would default
    to SYS$LOGIN.
    These two rules are in line with non-X application behaviour under VMS, I
    think.

    Not sure what you mean with "system directory" and what your application is
    intended for,
    but I'd be dead against *any* application that stores information in
    SYS$SYSTEM, SYS$SHARE,
    SYS$* whatever. Even if the application will be used by system managers, at
    best it's asking for polluting
    your system directories, worse, you could end up by having a "new"
    SYSUAF.DAT...

    As usual, YMMV

    Hans

  3. Re: Xwindows: SAVE-AS question

    Hans Vlems wrote:
    > Not sure what you mean with "system directory" and what your application is
    > intended for,
    > but I'd be dead against *any* application that stores information in
    > SYS$SYSTEM, SYS$SHARE,
    > SYS$* whatever. Even if the application will be used by system managers, at
    > best it's asking for polluting
    > your system directories, worse, you could end up by having a "new"

    In my case, it is a library module browser. So if you are consulting a DECCRTL
    module form the DECCRTL.TLB, the library is located in a system directory. But
    if you want to save a copy of the module you don't want it saved in the same
    directory as the library.

    The problem is that the applictation doesn't really know if it is started from
    the desktop or from command line. I guess I'll just specify sys$login as default.

  4. Re: Xwindows: SAVE-AS question

    In article <64c27b7d152ef3dc080e8aac382aa8f0@news.teranews.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > When adding a SAVE-AS... menu item in an xwindows program, should one
    > a- use a full fledged file selection menu to allow directory traversal etc,
    > b- or should one just supply a simple dialog asking for a file name ?

    Use the file selection menu as provided, with all the options on
    unless you have very string reasons not to. Otherwise you risk the
    wrath of your users, who are going to want to do something you
    didn't think of.

    > In the case of a file selection dialogue (VMS specific), any recommendations
    > on options that should be turned on/off to simplify the dialogue ? (for
    > instance, would it be right to remove the file filter section ?

    Leave it in.

    > In the case of a simple dialogue that asks for a file name, should the default
    > directory be assumed to be sys$login (the home directory for that user) ?

    The current default directory as set by "set default" should be the
    "default directory".

    > (In my case, the data to be stored comes from aome library that could be in a
    > system directory, so it isn't obvious that one would want to SAVE-AS into that directory).

    Then start the file dialog in some more reasonable directory.

  5. Re: Xwindows: SAVE-AS question

    "JF Mezei" schreef in bericht
    news:017a52d42091cf699cb918af5da72036@news.teranew s.com...
    > Hans Vlems wrote:
    > > Not sure what you mean with "system directory" and what your application

    is
    > > intended for,
    > > but I'd be dead against *any* application that stores information in
    > > SYS$SYSTEM, SYS$SHARE,
    > > SYS$* whatever. Even if the application will be used by system managers,

    at
    > > best it's asking for polluting
    > > your system directories, worse, you could end up by having a "new"

    > In my case, it is a library module browser. So if you are consulting a

    DECCRTL
    > module form the DECCRTL.TLB, the library is located in a system directory.

    But
    > if you want to save a copy of the module you don't want it saved in the

    same
    > directory as the library.

    That's what I'd prefer too as the default action of the program..

    > The problem is that the applictation doesn't really know if it is started

    from
    > the desktop or from command line. I guess I'll just specify sys$login as

    default.

    In those cases where it is not clear from what environment an application
    got started then
    it's safe to assume that SYS$LOGIN is a nice default value.

    Hans

+ Reply to Thread