Motif-based open-source library - Motif

This is a discussion on Motif-based open-source library - Motif ; Hello everyone! Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin. It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows. Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?...

  1. Motif-based open-source library

    Hello everyone!

    Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin.
    It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and
    it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows.

    Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?

  2. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    To my knowledge, there has not been any mods to lesstif (lgpl version of
    Motif that runs on Cygwin) to provide a Windows look and feel. You can
    probably get somewhat close with some careful resource settings.

    There has been commercial version of Motif with Windows look and feel (ICS
    sells one). However, they have never been ported to Cygwin.

    Mark

    "Eugene Dorofeyev" wrote in message
    news:95c04b9e.0406020117.5c226927@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin.
    > It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and
    > it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows.
    >
    > Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?

  3. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    On 2 Jun 2004 02:17:20 -0700, edorofeyev@kiev.ua.ddlabs.com (Eugene
    Dorofeyev) wrote:

    >Hello everyone!
    >
    >Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin.
    >It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and
    >it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows.
    >
    >Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?

    Not Motif, but Qt libraries provide this.

    --
    Bob Hairgrove
    NoSpamPlease@Home.com

  4. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    Bob Hairgrove wrote:
    > On 2 Jun 2004 02:17:20 -0700, edorofeyev@kiev.ua.ddlabs.com (Eugene
    > Dorofeyev) wrote:
    >

    >>Hello everyone!
    >>
    >>Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin.
    >>It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and
    >>it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?

    > Not Motif, but Qt libraries provide this.
    >

    > --
    > Bob Hairgrove
    > NoSpamPlease@Home.com

    Also maybe wxWindows.

  5. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    Jacques wrote:
    > Bob Hairgrove wrote:

    edorofeyev@kiev.ua.ddlabs.com (Eugene Dorofeyev) wrote:

    > >>Currently I`m porting OSF/Motif application into Cygwin.
    > >>It will be running then on various versions of UNIX and
    > >>it's GUI has to be look-and-feel like MS Windows.
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone know subj that provides MS Windows look-and-feel ?

    > > Not Motif, but Qt libraries provide this.

    > Also maybe wxWindows.

    And FOX Toolkit.

    But to answer the OP more directly: Sorry, if it has to have MS Windows look
    and feel, no free and easy solution exists AFAIK. You will have to

    a) replace Cygwin with something like MS Visual Studio and MKS toolkit
    (commercial, and not cheap) -- which should allow you to compile Unix/X/Motif
    code to something that looks a lot like Windows (although it does require an X
    server),

    b) replace Motif with QT, wxWidgets or Fox -- or, if you don't care about
    other platforms, a native Win32 GUI -- in either case, it probably means a
    massive rewrite of the code, or

    c) add the functionality you want to Lesstif.

    --
    Per Espen Hagen

  6. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    That may be true but for most users, Motif (or LessTif)
    is close enough.

    If you have a problem with that statement, please consider
    that each and every version of Windows looks different.

    Danny

    --
    Danny Backx (danny@gnu.org danny.backx@skynet.be)
    Home page : http://users.skynet.be/danny.backx

  7. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    Danny Backx wrote in message news:<40c42aab$0$8399$a0ced6e1@news.skynet.be>...
    > That may be true but for most users, Motif (or LessTif)
    > is close enough.
    >
    > If you have a problem with that statement, please consider
    > that each and every version of Windows looks different.

    In this case, some standart Windows interface (like in Windows 95)
    appearance and behaviour assumpted.

    For example, I need to get such a result:

    http://www.scl.com/products/ics/data...miermotif.html

  8. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    x-no-archive: yes

    Eugene Dorofeyev wrote:
    > Danny Backx wrote in message news:<40c42aab$0$8399$a0ced6e1@news.skynet.be>...
    >
    >>That may be true but for most users, Motif (or LessTif)
    >>is close enough.
    >>
    >>If you have a problem with that statement, please consider
    >>that each and every version of Windows looks different.

    > In this case, some standart Windows interface (like in Windows 95)
    > appearance and behaviour assumpted.
    >
    > For example, I need to get such a result:
    >
    > http://www.scl.com/products/ics/data...miermotif.html

    I'll dare give my very humble opinion in this reunion of experts:
    the Motif window shown there is using the default resources, which
    make it look horrible (IMHO). Using them wisely, you can make it
    look VERY much like "standard" Windows, if you use the CDE-enhanced
    1.x (or regular 2.x) Motif.

    --
    Please keep the 'x-no-archive: yes' header.

    To reach me by email: transform my account name like IBM -> HAL.

  9. Re: Motif-based open-source library

    Premier Motif is a Motif 1.2.x based. It has a runtime flag that you can
    switch that allows you to select between Motif, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95
    style UI's (Not 98 or XP). There was a lot of engineering work in creating
    Premier Motif, so it is not easily backfitted to a more modern Motif.

    You can implement 75% of a windows "look" by setting resources etc. However,
    Motif and Windows do not have the same style, (i.e., where does the Help
    button appear, etc.) Premier Motif doesn't fix this one either.

    Mark

    BTW: We're the ICS in that url you listed below. Contact me directly if you
    want to investigate the feasibility of porting Premier Motif on top of
    Cygwin.

    "Eugene Dorofeyev" wrote in message
    news:95c04b9e.0406080141.12b2f5d0@posting.google.c om...
    > Danny Backx wrote in message

    > > That may be true but for most users, Motif (or LessTif)
    > > is close enough.
    > >
    > > If you have a problem with that statement, please consider
    > > that each and every version of Windows looks different.

    > In this case, some standart Windows interface (like in Windows 95)
    > appearance and behaviour assumpted.
    >
    > For example, I need to get such a result:
    >
    > http://www.scl.com/products/ics/data...miermotif.html

+ Reply to Thread