XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error - Motif

This is a discussion on XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error - Motif ; On Slackware 9.1 with the Open Motif 2.2.2 package loaded from the Slackware extras cdrom I get a multiple definition error when trying to do a STATIC compile of a simple motif program. gcc complains that _XEditResCheckMessages is defined in ...

  1. XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error

    On Slackware 9.1 with the Open Motif 2.2.2 package loaded from the Slackware
    extras cdrom I get a multiple definition error when trying to do a STATIC
    compile of a simple motif program. gcc complains that _XEditResCheckMessages
    is defined in both Xm.a and Xmu.a.

    Is there a simple way around this without having to compile OpenMotif from
    sources (after removing this definition).

    Regards, Robert Kovacic

  2. Re: XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error

    "Robert Kovacic" wrote in
    > On Slackware 9.1 with the Open Motif 2.2.2 package loaded from the
    > Slackware extras cdrom I get a multiple definition error when trying to
    > do a STATIC compile of a simple motif program. gcc complains that
    > _XEditResCheckMessages is defined in both Xm.a and Xmu.a.
    >
    > Is there a simple way around this without having to compile OpenMotif
    > from sources (after removing this definition).

    Try:
    1. don't link with Xmu
    2. use ar to remove the uninteresting files from Xmu

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  3. Re: XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error

    "Ken Lee" wrote in message
    > "Robert Kovacic" wrote in
    > > On Slackware 9.1 with the Open Motif 2.2.2 package loaded from the
    > > Slackware extras cdrom I get a multiple definition error when trying to
    > > do a STATIC compile of a simple motif program. gcc complains that
    > > _XEditResCheckMessages is defined in both Xm.a and Xmu.a.
    > >
    > > Is there a simple way around this without having to compile OpenMotif
    > > from sources (after removing this definition).

    > Try:
    > 1. don't link with Xmu
    > 2. use ar to remove the uninteresting files from Xmu

    Thanks. Removing editres.o from Xm.a did the trick.

    > Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  4. Re: XEditResCheckMessages multiple definition error

    Robert,

    Turns out this was a bug in OM 2.2.2. (See bug reports bug reports 1167 and
    1204 at bugs.openmotif.org).

    This *should* work in OpenMotif 2.2.3. You can grab the new RPMs for
    OpenMotif 2.2.3 at either www.openmotif.org or www.motifzone.net. They're
    still labeled on the website as "beta", but they're actually the released
    versions. Official announcement will occur later this week or on Monday.

    Regards,

    Mark

    "Robert Kovacic" wrote in message
    > On Slackware 9.1 with the Open Motif 2.2.2 package loaded from the

    Slackware
    > extras cdrom I get a multiple definition error when trying to do a STATIC
    > compile of a simple motif program. gcc complains that

    _XEditResCheckMessages
    > is defined in both Xm.a and Xmu.a.
    >
    > Is there a simple way around this without having to compile OpenMotif from
    > sources (after removing this definition).
    >
    > Regards, Robert Kovacic

+ Reply to Thread