Xt/Motif and threads - Motif

This is a discussion on Xt/Motif and threads - Motif ; Hi all, I need some introduction to writing multithreaded applications with Xt/Motif interface. Is any introduction available on-line? How and when to use functions like XtAppLock, XtProcessLock, XtProcessUnlock, XtAppUnlock and others thread-related? Thanks in advance Robert...

  1. Xt/Motif and threads

    Hi all,

    I need some introduction to writing multithreaded applications with
    Xt/Motif interface.
    Is any introduction available on-line? How and when to use functions
    like XtAppLock,
    XtProcessLock, XtProcessUnlock, XtAppUnlock and others thread-related?

    Thanks in advance

    Robert

  2. Re: Xt/Motif and threads

    Robert Trawinski wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need some introduction to writing multithreaded applications with
    > Xt/Motif interface.
    > Is any introduction available on-line? How and when to use functions
    > like XtAppLock,
    > XtProcessLock, XtProcessUnlock, XtAppUnlock and others thread-related?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Robert

    Best advise is that ALL calls to X, Xt, or Xm functions be made from a
    single thread. If multiple threads are allowed to process events, the
    GUI can easily get corrupted. For example, if one thread handles a
    button press event that causes a grab (for instance, in a menu item),
    and another handles the associated button release, then the grab will
    never be relinquished.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow