Specifying MenuBar Spacing in a Resource File - Motif

This is a discussion on Specifying MenuBar Spacing in a Resource File - Motif ; In a UIL file, the following does the expected: object menuBar : XmMenuBar widget { arguments { XmNspacing = 7; }; controls { }; }; How can I get the same result via a resource file? I tried *XmMenuBar.spacing: 7 ...

  1. Specifying MenuBar Spacing in a Resource File

    In a UIL file, the following does the expected:

    object menuBar : XmMenuBar widget {
    arguments {
    XmNspacing = 7;
    };
    controls {
    };
    };

    How can I get the same result via a resource file?

    I tried

    *XmMenuBar.spacing: 7

    but the setting was ignored.

    Thanks!

    --
    Jake Colman
    Sr. Applications Developer

  2. Re: Specifying MenuBar Spacing in a Resource File

    Jake Colman wrote:

    > In a UIL file, the following does the expected:
    >
    > object menuBar : XmMenuBar widget {
    > arguments {
    > XmNspacing = 7;
    > };
    > controls {
    > };
    > };
    >
    > How can I get the same result via a resource file?
    >
    > I tried
    >
    > *XmMenuBar.spacing: 7
    >
    > but the setting was ignored.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Jake Colman
    > Sr. Applications Developer
    > Principia Partners LLC
    > Harborside Financial Center
    > 1001 Plaza Two
    > Jersey City, NJ 07311
    > (201) 209-2467
    > www.principiapartners.com

    Use:
    ?*menuBar.spacing: 7

    Your attempt would work if "XmMenuBar" was a widget or gadget class. For
    example, using something like "*XmText.background: red" would set the
    background of all XmText widgets to red. However, there is no such thing
    as an "XmMenuBar" widget; menu bars are actually XmRowColumn widgets.
    You could, of course, use "*XmRowColumn.spacing:7", but that would set
    the spacing to 7 for ALL RowColumn widgets. Using the instance name
    instead of the Widget class will set the resource for that instance
    only.

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow