capture window move event (newbie) - Motif

This is a discussion on capture window move event (newbie) - Motif ; Hi, I am very new to Motif. I am trying to find out if there is an event generated when my vendor shell is moved by the user, that I can add a callback for. Or would I use something ...

  1. capture window move event (newbie)

    Hi,

    I am very new to Motif.
    I am trying to find out if there is an event generated when my vendor shell
    is moved by the user, that I can add a callback for.
    Or would I use something like WM_TAKE_FOCUS for that?

    Thanks in advance,
    Duncus

  2. Re: capture window move event (newbie)

    Duncus Colossus wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new to Motif.
    > I am trying to find out if there is an event generated when my vendor shell
    > is moved by the user, that I can add a callback for.
    > Or would I use something like WM_TAKE_FOCUS for that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Duncus

    For questions about "which events occur" the 'oracle' is xev. In this
    case it tells me that no event is generated *during* the move, but a
    ConfigureNotify is generated when the move ends. Observed on W2K with
    Exceed, and on RH7.1 with KDE2; might be different with another WM, but
    there are certainly *some* platforms where you receive *just* one
    ConfigureNotify when the move ends.

    There is no callback for ConfigureNotify in any of the Shell widgets nor
    in any superclass they belong to. You have to use XtAddEventHandler.

    Greetings,
    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

  3. Re: capture window move event (newbie)

    "Michel Bardiaux" wrote in message
    > Duncus Colossus wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am very new to Motif.
    > > I am trying to find out if there is an event generated when my vendor

    shell
    > > is moved by the user, that I can add a callback for.
    > > Or would I use something like WM_TAKE_FOCUS for that?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Duncus
    > >

    > For questions about "which events occur" the 'oracle' is xev. In this
    > case it tells me that no event is generated *during* the move, but a
    > ConfigureNotify is generated when the move ends. Observed on W2K with
    > Exceed, and on RH7.1 with KDE2; might be different with another WM, but
    > there are certainly *some* platforms where you receive *just* one
    > ConfigureNotify when the move ends.
    >
    > There is no callback for ConfigureNotify in any of the Shell widgets nor
    > in any superclass they belong to. You have to use XtAddEventHandler.

    Thanks for the reply. What event should I be adding a handler for?
    Sorry...I'm a complete newbie.

    Duncus

  4. Re: capture window move event (newbie)

    Thanks. I have figured it out now. I didnt know by 'xev' you meant some file
    called xev.c

    "Duncus Colossus" wrote in message

    > "Michel Bardiaux" wrote in message
    > > Duncus Colossus wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I am very new to Motif.
    > > > I am trying to find out if there is an event generated when my vendor

    > shell
    > > > is moved by the user, that I can add a callback for.
    > > > Or would I use something like WM_TAKE_FOCUS for that?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Duncus
    > > >

    > > For questions about "which events occur" the 'oracle' is xev. In this
    > > case it tells me that no event is generated *during* the move, but a
    > > ConfigureNotify is generated when the move ends. Observed on W2K with
    > > Exceed, and on RH7.1 with KDE2; might be different with another WM, but
    > > there are certainly *some* platforms where you receive *just* one
    > > ConfigureNotify when the move ends.
    > >
    > > There is no callback for ConfigureNotify in any of the Shell widgets nor
    > > in any superclass they belong to. You have to use XtAddEventHandler.

    > Thanks for the reply. What event should I be adding a handler for?
    > Sorry...I'm a complete newbie.
    >
    > Duncus

+ Reply to Thread