Running my MOTIF app in "batch" mode - Motif

This is a discussion on Running my MOTIF app in "batch" mode - Motif ; Hi - I've built a MOTIF app that works great as designed interactively, BUT as you might have guessed my user community wants to be able to use it in more of a "batch" or "background" mode. Now the easiest ...

  1. Running my MOTIF app in "batch" mode

    Hi -

    I've built a MOTIF app that works great as designed interactively, BUT
    as you might have guessed my user community wants to be able to use it
    in more of a "batch" or "background" mode.

    Now the easiest thing for me to do is just give them a command line
    interface that runs the program and does what they want then exit.
    The only problem is that I've got to temporarily put up the XWindows
    on the display to instantiate the appropriate variables for use by the
    program. If they build a script that runs 100 consecutive runs of
    this program it can be very bothersome as the constant window display
    interrupts whatever else they wanted to do - e.g. read email/word
    process etc...

    I'm thinking I'd be golden if I could just redefine the DISPLAY
    environmental variable to point to "NULL" or some such. Is there
    ANYTHING like that out there??? I've thought of dedicating a
    workstation to be the batch job display work horse but we don't have
    any "extras" lying around... The most painful solution is for me to
    rewrite this 250,000 lines of code so I can "library-ize" the code
    they want but that would be VERY tedious. It works well now just all
    of those danged windows popping up and down... ;-)

    Does anyone have any ideas for me???

    Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!

    Rob
    rwa@purdue.edu

  2. Re: Running my MOTIF app in "batch" mode

    Rob wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I've built a MOTIF app that works great as designed interactively, BUT
    > as you might have guessed my user community wants to be able to use it
    > in more of a "batch" or "background" mode.
    >
    > Now the easiest thing for me to do is just give them a command line
    > interface that runs the program and does what they want then exit.
    > The only problem is that I've got to temporarily put up the XWindows
    > on the display to instantiate the appropriate variables for use by the
    > program. If they build a script that runs 100 consecutive runs of
    > this program it can be very bothersome as the constant window display
    > interrupts whatever else they wanted to do - e.g. read email/word
    > process etc...
    >
    > I'm thinking I'd be golden if I could just redefine the DISPLAY
    > environmental variable to point to "NULL" or some such. Is there
    > ANYTHING like that out there??? I've thought of dedicating a
    > workstation to be the batch job display work horse but we don't have
    > any "extras" lying around... The most painful solution is for me to
    > rewrite this 250,000 lines of code so I can "library-ize" the code
    > they want but that would be VERY tedious. It works well now just all
    > of those danged windows popping up and down... ;-)
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas for me???
    >
    > Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!
    >
    > Rob
    > rwa@purdue.edu

    One way to do this is run the program via an Xvfb server.

    Another way is to ship the DISPLAY to some unused (but running)
    terminal, dedicated for that purpose.

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Running my MOTIF app in "batch" mode

    "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message news:<40210B2B.73CC1437@nospam_boeing.com>...
    > Rob wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi -
    > >
    > > I've built a MOTIF app that works great as designed interactively, BUT
    > > as you might have guessed my user community wants to be able to use it
    > > in more of a "batch" or "background" mode.
    > >
    > > Now the easiest thing for me to do is just give them a command line
    > > interface that runs the program and does what they want then exit.
    > > The only problem is that I've got to temporarily put up the XWindows
    > > on the display to instantiate the appropriate variables for use by the
    > > program. If they build a script that runs 100 consecutive runs of
    > > this program it can be very bothersome as the constant window display
    > > interrupts whatever else they wanted to do - e.g. read email/word
    > > process etc...
    > >
    > > I'm thinking I'd be golden if I could just redefine the DISPLAY
    > > environmental variable to point to "NULL" or some such. Is there
    > > ANYTHING like that out there??? I've thought of dedicating a
    > > workstation to be the batch job display work horse but we don't have
    > > any "extras" lying around... The most painful solution is for me to
    > > rewrite this 250,000 lines of code so I can "library-ize" the code
    > > they want but that would be VERY tedious. It works well now just all
    > > of those danged windows popping up and down... ;-)
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas for me???
    > >
    > > Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!
    > >
    > > Rob
    > > rwa@purdue.edu

    > One way to do this is run the program via an Xvfb server.
    >
    > Another way is to ship the DISPLAY to some unused (but running)
    > terminal, dedicated for that purpose.

    Yahoo!!! Thanks Fred - Xvfb worked GREAT!!!

    Rob
    :-)

+ Reply to Thread