Tossed into the Motif Fire =) - Motif

This is a discussion on Tossed into the Motif Fire =) - Motif ; Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read this and supply any answers you have! I've recently been asked to look into a problem with a code segment that uses Motif, a system that I dont have much ...

  1. Tossed into the Motif Fire =)

    Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read this and supply
    any answers you have!

    I've recently been asked to look into a problem with a code segment
    that uses Motif, a system that I dont have much familiarity with but
    have read the FAQ and a bit in this forum. The code segment was
    designed using Sun's Workshop visualizer tool, so I have .xd files and
    the actual code if that matters.

    Rather than provide code segments its probably easier if I describe
    the problem. I have a parent window with a widget button that opens
    up a child window. Both work flawlessly in all respects. However, if
    the parent window was resized from its default before the child is
    opened, when the child is closed the parent reverts to its default
    size. So this acts as an inconvenience, not a critical flaw.

    Again I am not intimately familiar with Motif so I am uncertain if
    this is by design of motif or something the original programmer could
    have prevented. We have noted several occaissions where this occurs,
    although only two or three of them are really problems for our users.
    I have investigated the 'Callback' concept in Motif but am not really
    certain what to look for to prevent this condition, and dont know if
    its something I could set within visu so that it wont occur.

    Many thanks into any information that can be provided. If the answer
    is RTFM, please be specific on what sections =)

    Thanks!
    Sam

  2. Re: Tossed into the Motif Fire =)

    EQ-Kadath wrote:

    > Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read this and supply
    > any answers you have!
    >
    > I've recently been asked to look into a problem with a code segment
    > that uses Motif, a system that I dont have much familiarity with but
    > have read the FAQ and a bit in this forum. The code segment was
    > designed using Sun's Workshop visualizer tool, so I have .xd files and
    > the actual code if that matters.
    >
    > Rather than provide code segments its probably easier if I describe
    > the problem. I have a parent window with a widget button that opens
    > up a child window. Both work flawlessly in all respects. However, if
    > the parent window was resized from its default before the child is
    > opened, when the child is closed the parent reverts to its default
    > size. So this acts as an inconvenience, not a critical flaw.
    >
    > Again I am not intimately familiar with Motif so I am uncertain if
    > this is by design of motif or something the original programmer could
    > have prevented. We have noted several occaissions where this occurs,
    > although only two or three of them are really problems for our users.
    > I have investigated the 'Callback' concept in Motif but am not really
    > certain what to look for to prevent this condition, and dont know if
    > its something I could set within visu so that it wont occur.
    >
    > Many thanks into any information that can be provided. If the answer
    > is RTFM, please be specific on what sections =)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Sam

    You have to be careful when you use the word "window" with Motif apps.
    Every widget (Form, PushButton, Label, List, etc.) creates its own
    window. The Shell widget (the parent widget for any dialog) is a special
    case, in that its window may be re-parented by the Window Manager and
    get WM decorations, and can thus be moved and resized by dragging its
    edges/corners.

    If you are talking about a dialog child, then closing the child dialog
    should not affact the current size of the other dialogs, unless some
    callback code is doing something to that effect. Look for callbacks on
    the widget that causes the child dialog to close (okCallback or
    cancelCallback).
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Tossed into the Motif Fire =)

    The "xd" extension stands for X Designer. Sun resells their product as part
    of the Workshop tool. As they are a competitor, please accept my condolences
    ;-)

    You might check out www.ist.co.uk.

    Since this is a generic Motif question, you might try the bulletin boards on
    the MotifZone (www.motifzone.net).

    Mark

    "EQ-Kadath" wrote in message
    news:372c7d6f.0402031145.136e966@posting.google.co m...
    > Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read this and supply
    > any answers you have!
    >
    > I've recently been asked to look into a problem with a code segment
    > that uses Motif, a system that I dont have much familiarity with but
    > have read the FAQ and a bit in this forum. The code segment was
    > designed using Sun's Workshop visualizer tool, so I have .xd files and
    > the actual code if that matters.
    >
    > Rather than provide code segments its probably easier if I describe
    > the problem. I have a parent window with a widget button that opens
    > up a child window. Both work flawlessly in all respects. However, if
    > the parent window was resized from its default before the child is
    > opened, when the child is closed the parent reverts to its default
    > size. So this acts as an inconvenience, not a critical flaw.
    >
    > Again I am not intimately familiar with Motif so I am uncertain if
    > this is by design of motif or something the original programmer could
    > have prevented. We have noted several occaissions where this occurs,
    > although only two or three of them are really problems for our users.
    > I have investigated the 'Callback' concept in Motif but am not really
    > certain what to look for to prevent this condition, and dont know if
    > its something I could set within visu so that it wont occur.
    >
    > Many thanks into any information that can be provided. If the answer
    > is RTFM, please be specific on what sections =)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Sam

+ Reply to Thread