why QT has best look and feel?? - Motif

This is a discussion on why QT has best look and feel?? - Motif ; Hi!, I have been using KDE and its various other tools (kdbg etc..) for quiet some time and i find that they have the best look and feel compared to other applications developed using motif(Xemacs, ddd..) or gtk(gimp). i know ...

  1. why QT has best look and feel??

    Hi!,

    I have been using KDE and its various other tools (kdbg etc..) for
    quiet some time and i find that they have the best look and feel
    compared to other applications developed using motif(Xemacs, ddd..) or
    gtk(gimp). i know they are not powerful like the ones developed with
    other x window tools but i am sure they look the best. I know that the
    KDE GUI has been built with QT, but why is that QT looks good whereas
    other suck!! :-). Could you please tell em why?.

    Thanx

    Sunny

  2. Re: why QT has best look and feel??

    sunil wrote:

    > I have been using KDE and its various other tools (kdbg etc..) for
    > quiet some time and i find that they have the best look and feel
    > compared to other applications developed using motif(Xemacs, ddd..) or
    > gtk(gimp).

    > Could you please tell em why?.

    You expect us to explain why _you_ find KDE/Qt to be better looking? You
    _are_ aware of the fact that there are no objective standards for UI
    aesthetics? The UI industry is run by fear-of-training-costs induced
    convention and whatever nonsense has been sprinkled with copious
    libations of Cupertino Holy UI-Pee(tm)?

    Having said that, here's a couple of reasons why _I_ think _you_ might
    like KDE/Qt better than other toolkits:

    1. because you;re used to it.

    2. because most apps using gtk/motif/qt etc. have been built by
    programmers not designers. When designers code it's ugly, when
    programmers design it's worse.

    3. because you;re possibly some techhead or financial analist with no
    sense of taste or style whatsoever. Let's face it, you think dockers and
    rockports are formal wear.

    4. because you never saw NeXTSTEP.

    5. because you know nothing about information visualisation and think
    that the themed tree widget is the greatest thing since the pie-chart.

    6. because you think MacOS Aqua, of which the default KDE theme is a
    blatant rip-off, is beautiful and well designed. Don;t get me started on
    what _I_ think of Aqua

    Hope this helps you to understand your UI issue...

    grts

    avi

    PS. I do think that stock Motif could do with a new file-selector
    dialog, but I doubt that will ever happen. With the on-going demise of
    the Sun/SGI/HP proprietary workstation, Motif is steadily losing ground
    as a default widget kit. This is compounded by the fact that more and
    more Motif apps are moving into maintenance mode or are being transition
    to QT or Gtk on GNU/Linux x86 PeeCee's.

    On the other hand Motif has had a pretty good run, so I suppose it's
    time for other toolkits to reinvent the widget wheel.

+ Reply to Thread