mwm problems and Motif problems - Motif

This is a discussion on mwm problems and Motif problems - Motif ; I'm having problems with mwm: I editied a $(HOME)/Mwm file to set some resources, for example the title area background and foreground colors, but they don't have effect. I would also like to prevent the user from moving the application's ...

  1. mwm problems and Motif problems

    I'm having problems with mwm:

    I editied a $(HOME)/Mwm file to set some resources, for example the
    title area background and foreground colors, but they don't have
    effect.

    I would also like to prevent the user from moving the application's
    main window by actig on the title bar.

    Another thing I would like to set is the font used by my application:
    for achieving this, I edited the resource file for my application,
    located in X11R6/.../app-defaults/ writing in it:
    *Font : 8x13
    I get the warning message:
    Warning: Cannot convert string "8x13" to type FontStruct
    then I tried to use the alias mentioned in file "fonts.alias" but even
    in that case I get for example:
    Warning: Cannot convert string
    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-i
    so8859-1" to type FontStruct

    can you help me?

    Thanks,

    Luca

  2. Re: mwm problems and Motif problems

    You need to edit the .Xdefaults or .Xresources file in ~/ order to get
    different background and foreground colours i.e.

    Mwm*background: colour
    Mwm*foreground: colour

    Mwm*activeForeground: colour
    Mwm*menu*foreground: colour
    ....etc.

    If neither file exists then you can just create one.

    You can remove the title bar of an application with
    Mwm*application*clientDecoration: none

    and the user will not be able to move the window with the mouse
    but they will still be able to move it if they use the ALT+F7 key
    sequence so you'd have to remove that sequence from the ~/.mwmrc file

    > I'm having problems with mwm:
    >
    > I editied a $(HOME)/Mwm file to set some resources, for example the
    > title area background and foreground colors, but they don't have
    > effect.
    >
    > I would also like to prevent the user from moving the application's
    > main window by actig on the title bar.
    >
    > Another thing I would like to set is the font used by my application:
    > for achieving this, I edited the resource file for my application,
    > located in X11R6/.../app-defaults/ writing in it:
    > *Font : 8x13
    > I get the warning message:
    > Warning: Cannot convert string "8x13" to type FontStruct
    > then I tried to use the alias mentioned in file "fonts.alias" but even
    > in that case I get for example:
    > Warning: Cannot convert string
    > "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-i
    > so8859-1" to type FontStruct
    >
    > can you help me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Luca