windows and icons - Motif

This is a discussion on windows and icons - Motif ; I just have a couple of basic newbie questions: how do I make window decoration button that will close the window with just one LMB click (as oposed to MB scrolling down and selecting "close"). And similarly, how can I ...

  1. windows and icons

    I just have a couple of basic newbie questions: how do I make window
    decoration button that will close the window with just one LMB click (as
    oposed to MB scrolling down and selecting "close"). And similarly, how
    can I restore an icon with just one click rather than double clicking or
    click/select "close"? Something I can put in .mwmrc or .Xdefaults please
    as I don't know any Motif programming. Thanks.

  2. Re: windows and icons

    Hello??? Does anyone actually visit this group???

    > I just have a couple of basic newbie questions: how do I make window
    > decoration button that will close the window with just one LMB click (as
    > oposed to MB scrolling down and selecting "close"). And similarly, how
    > can I restore an icon with just one click rather than double clicking or
    > click/select "close"? Something I can put in .mwmrc or .Xdefaults please
    > as I don't know any Motif programming. Thanks.

  3. Re: windows and icons

    Sal wrote:
    > Hello??? Does anyone actually visit this group???

    Yes, but not very often, since traffic is low.

    >> I just have a couple of basic newbie questions: how do I make
    >> window decoration button that will close the window with just one
    >> LMB click (as oposed to MB scrolling down and selecting "close").

    You dont make decorations yourself, you tell the WM you which ones you
    want, amongst a predefined set. The default decorations and functions
    for shell widgets with Motif, are to have a 'close' button. In KDM, its
    look is [X], at top right. Hence, if your app does *not* have a 'close'
    button, some pice of the code, or of the resources file(s), must have
    changed XmNfunctions and/or XmNdecorations. If *none* of your apps have
    that decoration, then your mwm must be badly configured.

    > And similarly,
    >> how can I restore an icon with just one click rather than double
    >> clicking or click/select "close"? Something I can put in .mwmrc or
    >> .Xdefaults please as I don't know any Motif programming. Thanks.

    Im not sure but... have you tried changing mwm*iconClick to False in
    Xdefaults?

    Anyway, if you wish icons to be restored by single-click *just* to do
    the same as MS-Windows, and since you run Linux, the best way is to use
    KDM instead of MWM.

    HaND,
    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

  4. Re: windows and icons

    Thanks for the response.

    > You dont make decorations yourself, you tell the WM you which ones you
    > want, amongst a predefined set. The default decorations and functions
    > for shell widgets with Motif, are to have a 'close' button. In KDM, its
    > look is [X], at top right. Hence, if your app does *not* have a 'close'
    > button, some pice of the code, or of the resources file(s), must have
    > changed XmNfunctions and/or XmNdecorations. If *none* of your apps have
    > that decoration, then your mwm must be badly configured.

    I never had the [X] in the upper right hand corner, even in the default
    configuration (in mwm). What I have is a [-] in the upper left and a
    [tiny square][square] in the upper right hand for minimize and maximize
    respectively. This is the configuration I've seen in about 99% of the
    motif windows and screen shots I've seen so I don't think there's
    anything "wrong" with the configuration. The configuration you speak of
    with the [X] in the upper right hand (or anywhere for that matter) is
    exactly what I want. How do I get that? I am using MWM...what is KDM? If
    I run kdm as root I just get a graphical login screen (as opposed to my
    normal text-only log-in) and a choice to login under KDE, GNOME, or
    DEFAULT (GNOME); none of which I use.

    > > And similarly,
    > >> how can I restore an icon with just one click rather than double
    > >> clicking or click/select "close"? Something I can put in .mwmrc or
    > >> .Xdefaults please as I don't know any Motif programming. Thanks.
    > >>

    > Im not sure but... have you tried changing mwm*iconClick to False in
    > Xdefaults?
    >
    > Anyway, if you wish icons to be restored by single-click *just* to do
    > the same as MS-Windows, and since you run Linux, the best way is to use
    > KDM instead of MWM.

    mwm*iconClick: False doesn't seem to help. Do you mean "KDE"? I'm not
    looking for an MS-Windows "look and feel" I, just want the ability to
    open and close windows and icons in mwm with one click.

    Thanks again.

    -Sal

  5. Re: windows and icons

    In article <3F984E57.3040108@yahoo.com> Sal writes:

    >I never had the [X] in the upper right hand corner, even in the default
    >configuration (in mwm). What I have is a [-] in the upper left and a
    >[tiny square][square] in the upper right hand for minimize and maximize
    >respectively.

    I don't believe that mwm or dtwm (the CDE window manager) have an option for
    Close (f.kill) as a button in the window frame.

    The frame decorations are controlled by the X resource Dtwm*clientDecoration
    (or Mwm*clientDecoration if using mwm) and the only options I'm aware of are

    all Include all decorations (default
    value).
    border Window border.
    maximize Maximize button (includes title
    bar).
    minimize Minimize button (includes title
    bar).
    none No decorations.
    resizeh Border resize handles (includes
    border).
    menu Window menu button (includes
    title bar).
    title Title bar (includes border).

    Examples:

    Dtwm*XClock.clientDecoration: -resizeh -maximize

    This removes the resize handles and maximize button from
    XClock windows.

    Dtwm*XClock.clientDecoration: menu minimize border

    This does the same thing as above. Note that either menu or
    minimize implies title.

    (this is from the dtwm man page).

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "The valley's religious leaders have even begun to behave like their high-tech
    counterparts. Rabbi Block, for example, has found himself using new
    analogies in conversation with members -- among the most effective being that
    `God is the ultimate file server.'"
    -the New York Times

  6. Re: windows and icons

    Is it possible to assign f.kill to the menu
    button [-] ?

    Pete nospam Zakel wrote:
    > In article <3F984E57.3040108@yahoo.com> Sal writes:
    >

    >>I never had the [X] in the upper right hand corner, even in the default
    >>configuration (in mwm). What I have is a [-] in the upper left and a
    >>[tiny square][square] in the upper right hand for minimize and maximize
    >>respectively.

    > I don't believe that mwm or dtwm (the CDE window manager) have an option for
    > Close (f.kill) as a button in the window frame.
    >
    > The frame decorations are controlled by the X resource Dtwm*clientDecoration
    > (or Mwm*clientDecoration if using mwm) and the only options I'm aware of are
    >
    > all Include all decorations (default
    > value).
    > border Window border.
    > maximize Maximize button (includes title
    > bar).
    > minimize Minimize button (includes title
    > bar).
    > none No decorations.
    > resizeh Border resize handles (includes
    > border).
    > menu Window menu button (includes
    > title bar).
    > title Title bar (includes border).
    >
    > Examples:
    >
    > Dtwm*XClock.clientDecoration: -resizeh -maximize
    >
    > This removes the resize handles and maximize button from
    > XClock windows.
    >
    > Dtwm*XClock.clientDecoration: menu minimize border
    >
    > This does the same thing as above. Note that either menu or
    > minimize implies title.
    >
    > (this is from the dtwm man page).
    >
    > -Pete Zakel
    > (phz@seeheader.nospam)
    >
    > "The valley's religious leaders have even begun to behave like their high-tech
    > counterparts. Rabbi Block, for example, has found himself using new
    > analogies in conversation with members -- among the most effective being that
    > `God is the ultimate file server.'"
    > -the New York Times

  7. Re: windows and icons

    > Is it possible to assign f.kill to the menu
    > button [-] ?

    double-clicking the menu button should work...

    --ms

  8. Re: windows and icons

    Sal wrote:
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    >> You dont make decorations yourself, you tell the WM you which ones you
    >> want, amongst a predefined set. The default decorations and functions
    >> for shell widgets with Motif, are to have a 'close' button. In KDM, its
    >> look is [X], at top right. Hence, if your app does *not* have a 'close'
    >> button, some pice of the code, or of the resources file(s), must have
    >> changed XmNfunctions and/or XmNdecorations. If *none* of your apps
    >> have that decoration, then your mwm must be badly configured.

    > I never had the [X] in the upper right hand corner, even in the default
    > configuration (in mwm). What I have is a [-] in the upper left and a
    > [tiny square][square] in the upper right hand for minimize and maximize
    > respectively. This is the configuration I've seen in about 99% of the
    > motif windows and screen shots I've seen so I don't think there's
    > anything "wrong" with the configuration.

    You're right, of course. It's been a long time since I used Mwm or a
    derivative of it.

    > The configuration you speak of
    > with the [X] in the upper right hand (or anywhere for that matter) is
    > exactly what I want. How do I get that? I am using MWM...what is KDM? If
    > I run kdm as root I just get a graphical login screen (as opposed to my
    > normal text-only log-in) and a choice to login under KDE, GNOME, or
    > DEFAULT (GNOME); none of which I use.

    If you login under KDE (and have KDE installed, of course) the KDM
    window manager will be used; and its default behavior is to have the
    single-click [X] button to close (f.kill) a window, and sinle-click to
    restore an icon.

    >> > And similarly,
    >> >>

    >> Im not sure but... have you tried changing mwm*iconClick to False in
    >> Xdefaults?
    >>
    >> Anyway, if you wish icons to be restored by single-click *just* to do
    >> the same as MS-Windows, and since you run Linux, the best way is to
    >> use KDM instead of MWM.

    > mwm*iconClick: False doesn't seem to help. Do you mean "KDE"? I'm not
    > looking for an MS-Windows "look and feel" I, just want the ability to
    > open and close windows and icons in mwm with one click.

    I have checked in the mwm sources and man page, and I no longer think
    you can. There is simply no MWM_DECOR flag for a close button, and Mwm
    has no idea of what that is.

    Really, IMHO using a 'modern' WM like KDE (of which we are extremely
    satisfied) or Gnome (no experience) is the easiest way to achieve what
    you want. And you will get it in *every* GUIed application!

    > Thanks again.
    >
    > -Sal

    HaND,
    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles
    Tel : +32 2 790.29.41

  9. Re: windows and icons

    In article Sal writes:
    >Is it possible to assign f.kill to the menu
    >button [-] ?

    Not as far as I know.

    -Pete Zakel
    (phz@seeheader.nospam)

    "The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."

    -The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

  10. Re: windows and icons

    Well, double clicking the top left is good enough I guess

    > Sal wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the response.
    >>
    >>> You dont make decorations yourself, you tell the WM you which ones you
    >>> want, amongst a predefined set. The default decorations and functions
    >>> for shell widgets with Motif, are to have a 'close' button. In KDM, its
    >>> look is [X], at top right. Hence, if your app does *not* have a 'close'
    >>> button, some pice of the code, or of the resources file(s), must have
    >>> changed XmNfunctions and/or XmNdecorations. If *none* of your apps
    >>> have that decoration, then your mwm must be badly configured.

    >> I never had the [X] in the upper right hand corner, even in the
    >> default configuration (in mwm). What I have is a [-] in the upper left
    >> and a [tiny square][square] in the upper right hand for minimize and
    >> maximize respectively. This is the configuration I've seen in about
    >> 99% of the motif windows and screen shots I've seen so I don't think
    >> there's anything "wrong" with the configuration.

    > You're right, of course. It's been a long time since I used Mwm or a
    > derivative of it.
    >
    >> The configuration you speak of with the [X] in the upper right hand
    >> (or anywhere for that matter) is exactly what I want. How do I get
    >> that? I am using MWM...what is KDM? If I run kdm as root I just get a
    >> graphical login screen (as opposed to my normal text-only log-in) and
    >> a choice to login under KDE, GNOME, or DEFAULT (GNOME); none of which
    >> I use.

    > If you login under KDE (and have KDE installed, of course) the KDM
    > window manager will be used; and its default behavior is to have the
    > single-click [X] button to close (f.kill) a window, and sinle-click to
    > restore an icon.

    >>> Im not sure but... have you tried changing mwm*iconClick to False in
    >>> Xdefaults?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, if you wish icons to be restored by single-click *just* to do
    >>> the same as MS-Windows, and since you run Linux, the best way is to
    >>> use KDM instead of MWM.

    >> mwm*iconClick: False doesn't seem to help. Do you mean "KDE"? I'm not
    >> looking for an MS-Windows "look and feel" I, just want the ability to
    >> open and close windows and icons in mwm with one click.

    > I have checked in the mwm sources and man page, and I no longer think
    > you can. There is simply no MWM_DECOR flag for a close button, and Mwm
    > has no idea of what that is.
    >
    > Really, IMHO using a 'modern' WM like KDE (of which we are extremely
    > satisfied) or Gnome (no experience) is the easiest way to achieve what
    > you want. And you will get it in *every* GUIed application!
    >

    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> -Sal
    >>

    > HaND,

  11. Re: windows and icons

    Sal wrote:
    > Well, double clicking the top left is good enough I guess

    Another possibility is to get an OpenSource mwm ( from www.lesstif.org )
    and compile it with the Motif you have. Then you can hack a [x] CLOSE
    button by following what is done for [-].

    Personnally, just the thought I would have to fiddle with an Imakefile
    makes my skin crawl, so that's probably not a path I would take...

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles
    Tel : +32 2 790.29.41

  12. Re: windows and icons

    Sal wrote in message news:<3F93A048.1030009@yahoo.com>...

    > I just have a couple of basic newbie questions: how do I make window
    > decoration button that will close the window with just one LMB click (as
    > oposed to MB scrolling down and selecting "close"). And similarly, how
    > can I restore an icon with just one click rather than double clicking or
    > click/select "close"? Something I can put in .mwmrc or .Xdefaults please
    > as I don't know any Motif programming. Thanks.

    You can't do it with MWM but Fvwm can be configured to mimic almost all the
    look and feel of MWM and also add a close button. I used to put something
    like this in my .fvwm2rc:

    AddButtonStyle 1 Pixmap close.xpm -- flat
    AddButtonStyle 1 ActiveDown Pixmap close2.xpm -- flat
    Mouse 1 1 A Delete

    I don't use this anymore because it's very dangerous: soo or later you
    click at the cloce button by mistake. The best approach, IMO, is to add
    a keyboard shortcut like MWM's Alt-F4. It is much harder to close a
    window by mistake this way.

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread