Can I switch from Lesstif to FVWM2 and back easily? - Motif

This is a discussion on Can I switch from Lesstif to FVWM2 and back easily? - Motif ; I am a beginner in Linux and I want to use FVWM2 as my main windows manager BUT I also want to run DDD which requires Lesstif. How can I switch from FVWM2 to Lesstif and back? DO I have ...

  1. Can I switch from Lesstif to FVWM2 and back easily?

    I am a beginner in Linux and I want to use FVWM2 as my main windows manager
    BUT I also want to run DDD which requires Lesstif. How can I switch from
    FVWM2 to Lesstif and back? DO I have to reboot in order to do so?

    Please answer to this newsgroup

    Thank you

  2. Re: Can I switch from Lesstif to FVWM2 and back easily?

    F;,VN[OWIR wrote:
    > I am a beginner in Linux and I want to use FVWM2 as my main windows manager
    > BUT I also want to run DDD which requires Lesstif. How can I switch from
    > FVWM2 to Lesstif and back? DO I have to reboot in order to do so?
    >
    > Please answer to this newsgroup

    ehhhh.... I think you've got a few things mixed up.

    LessTif == clone implementation of the Motif widget mess. Used to make
    X11 application interfaces.

    FVWM2 == very olde fashionede X11 windowmanager. Used to add decorations
    like titlebars and minimize/maximise buttons to X11 applications. As a
    bonus FVWM2 adds a program starter thing too.

    Important point: A X11 windowmanager isn;t necessarily tied to the
    toolkit your application is using. If windowmanager W uses say the Gtk
    toolkit and the X11 application A uses the Motif toolkit, the two will
    work fine if:

    1. the 2 toolkits are available on your system
    2. the windowmanager and application honour the ICCCM conventions for
    windowmanager <-> application communication.

    Thus: DDD will run without any problems at all using the FVMW2
    windowmanager, but you'll need LessTif installed someplace sensible on
    your system for DDD's UI to work. Have a look on the DDD website, and
    you;ll see that the screenshots show DDD running with the KDE
    windowmanager, which is based on the Qt toolkit.

    hope this helps a little,

    grts,

    avi

    PS. As to rebooting, unix boxen generally don;t need reboots for any
    system administration tasks, the main exception being kernel upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread