XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0 - Motif

This is a discussion on XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0 - Motif ; I am having a problem with multi-line labels that only shows up on our DEC Alpha V4.0 UNIX platform. My program crashes as soon as it tries to create these multi-line labels. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? The ...

  1. XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    I am having a problem with multi-line labels that only shows up on our
    DEC Alpha V4.0 UNIX platform. My program crashes as soon as it tries
    to create these multi-line labels.

    Has anyone ever seen this problem before? The program is supposed to
    be supported on all of these platforms so if I can't resolve it, I may
    need to move back to stretching these labels out on one long line.

    The multi-line labels work fine on our DEC Alpha V5.1 platform, all of
    our RedHat LINUX platforms, and our IBM AIX platforms.

    Using gdb, I see that the crash is in XmStringCacheTag():

    0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    (gdb) where
    #0 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    Error accessing memory address 0xfffffffffffffffd: Invalid argument.

    and stepping through, I see it's being called in the following
    sequence:

    #0 0x12015a474 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    #1 0x12015b464 in XmStringConcatAndFree ()
    #2 0x12015aea4 in XmStringConcat ()
    #3 0x1200ef84c in StringToXmString (
    str=0x140172482 ":t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"")
    at bxutils-c.c:888
    #4 0x1200efcb8 in CvtStringToXmString (d=0x140246000, args=0x0,
    num_args=0x11fff7c20, fromVal=0x11fff7dc0, toVal=0x11fff7db0,
    data=0x11fff7c10) at bxutils-c.c:1140
    #5 0x120338f04 in XtDirectConvert ()
    #6 0x1203396f4 in _XtConvert ()

    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY IDEAS!
    Julie

  2. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    Julie S wrote:

    > I am having a problem with multi-line labels that only shows up on our
    > DEC Alpha V4.0 UNIX platform. My program crashes as soon as it tries
    > to create these multi-line labels.
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen this problem before? The program is supposed to
    > be supported on all of these platforms so if I can't resolve it, I may
    > need to move back to stretching these labels out on one long line.
    >
    > The multi-line labels work fine on our DEC Alpha V5.1 platform, all of
    > our RedHat LINUX platforms, and our IBM AIX platforms.
    >
    > Using gdb, I see that the crash is in XmStringCacheTag():

    > 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > (gdb) where
    > #0 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > Error accessing memory address 0xfffffffffffffffd: Invalid argument.
    >
    > and stepping through, I see it's being called in the following
    > sequence:
    >
    > #0 0x12015a474 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > #1 0x12015b464 in XmStringConcatAndFree ()
    > #2 0x12015aea4 in XmStringConcat ()
    > #3 0x1200ef84c in StringToXmString (
    > str=0x140172482 ":t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"")
    > at bxutils-c.c:888
    > #4 0x1200efcb8 in CvtStringToXmString (d=0x140246000, args=0x0,
    > num_args=0x11fff7c20, fromVal=0x11fff7dc0, toVal=0x11fff7db0,
    > data=0x11fff7c10) at bxutils-c.c:1140
    > #5 0x120338f04 in XtDirectConvert ()
    > #6 0x1203396f4 in _XtConvert ()
    >
    > THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY IDEAS!
    > Julie

    Sounds like you are using builderXcessory to create the interface. Check
    the generated source code for any calls to CvtStringToXmString(), or to
    BX_CONVERT()
    that is converting a string resource value to an XmString for the widget
    in question. ( Note: One thing to be wary of when using BX is NEVER
    start a string literal with two colons ( "::" ). )

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message news:<3F55065D.28DEA29E@boeing.com>...
    > Julie S wrote:
    > >
    > > I am having a problem with multi-line labels that only shows up on our
    > > DEC Alpha V4.0 UNIX platform. My program crashes as soon as it tries
    > > to create these multi-line labels.
    > >
    > > Has anyone ever seen this problem before? The program is supposed to
    > > be supported on all of these platforms so if I can't resolve it, I may
    > > need to move back to stretching these labels out on one long line.
    > >
    > > The multi-line labels work fine on our DEC Alpha V5.1 platform, all of
    > > our RedHat LINUX platforms, and our IBM AIX platforms.
    > >
    > > Using gdb, I see that the crash is in XmStringCacheTag():
    > >
    > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    > > 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > (gdb) where
    > > #0 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > Error accessing memory address 0xfffffffffffffffd: Invalid argument.
    > >
    > > and stepping through, I see it's being called in the following
    > > sequence:
    > >
    > > #0 0x12015a474 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > #1 0x12015b464 in XmStringConcatAndFree ()
    > > #2 0x12015aea4 in XmStringConcat ()
    > > #3 0x1200ef84c in StringToXmString (
    > > str=0x140172482 ":t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"")
    > > at bxutils-c.c:888
    > > #4 0x1200efcb8 in CvtStringToXmString (d=0x140246000, args=0x0,
    > > num_args=0x11fff7c20, fromVal=0x11fff7dc0, toVal=0x11fff7db0,
    > > data=0x11fff7c10) at bxutils-c.c:1140
    > > #5 0x120338f04 in XtDirectConvert ()
    > > #6 0x1203396f4 in _XtConvert ()
    > >
    > > THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY IDEAS!
    > > Julie

    > Sounds like you are using builderXcessory to create the interface. Check
    > the generated source code for any calls to CvtStringToXmString(), or to
    > BX_CONVERT()
    > that is converting a string resource value to an XmString for the widget
    > in question. ( Note: One thing to be wary of when using BX is NEVER
    > start a string literal with two colons ( "::" ). )

    You're right, I am using builderXcessory to create the interface. I
    am entering the label name as:

    Records
    1 Record=512xBlockSize

    The code that is generated for this is:
    tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    XmRXmString, 0, &argok);

    which is the line I am crashing on.

    So my string, as entered, doesn't have "::" at the beginning but for
    some reason the generated code does. Do you know what the ":::t"
    means?

    Is it obvious to you why this line would cause a crash on one UNIX
    platform but not the others? Do you think that there is any way I can
    use multi-line labels? Do you think there is a bug in BX's use of
    CvtStringToXmString()?

    Thank you so much for your help,
    Julie

  4. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    Julie S wrote:

    > "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message news:<3F55065D.28DEA29E@boeing.com>...
    > > Julie S wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I am having a problem with multi-line labels that only shows up on our
    > > > DEC Alpha V4.0 UNIX platform. My program crashes as soon as it tries
    > > > to create these multi-line labels.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone ever seen this problem before? The program is supposed to
    > > > be supported on all of these platforms so if I can't resolve it, I may
    > > > need to move back to stretching these labels out on one long line.
    > > >
    > > > The multi-line labels work fine on our DEC Alpha V5.1 platform, all of
    > > > our RedHat LINUX platforms, and our IBM AIX platforms.
    > > >
    > > > Using gdb, I see that the crash is in XmStringCacheTag():
    > > >
    > > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    > > > 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > > (gdb) where
    > > > #0 0x120116968 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > > Error accessing memory address 0xfffffffffffffffd: Invalid argument.
    > > >
    > > > and stepping through, I see it's being called in the following
    > > > sequence:
    > > >
    > > > #0 0x12015a474 in _XmStringCacheTag ()
    > > > #1 0x12015b464 in XmStringConcatAndFree ()
    > > > #2 0x12015aea4 in XmStringConcat ()
    > > > #3 0x1200ef84c in StringToXmString (
    > > > str=0x140172482 ":t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"")
    > > > at bxutils-c.c:888
    > > > #4 0x1200efcb8 in CvtStringToXmString (d=0x140246000, args=0x0,
    > > > num_args=0x11fff7c20, fromVal=0x11fff7dc0, toVal=0x11fff7db0,
    > > > data=0x11fff7c10) at bxutils-c.c:1140
    > > > #5 0x120338f04 in XtDirectConvert ()
    > > > #6 0x1203396f4 in _XtConvert ()
    > > >
    > > > THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY IDEAS!
    > > > Julie

    > > Sounds like you are using builderXcessory to create the interface. Check
    > > the generated source code for any calls to CvtStringToXmString(), or to
    > > BX_CONVERT()
    > > that is converting a string resource value to an XmString for the widget
    > > in question. ( Note: One thing to be wary of when using BX is NEVER
    > > start a string literal with two colons ( "::" ). )

    > You're right, I am using builderXcessory to create the interface. I
    > am entering the label name as:
    >
    > Records
    > 1 Record=512xBlockSize
    >
    > The code that is generated for this is:
    > tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    > (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    > XmRXmString, 0, &argok);
    >
    > which is the line I am crashing on.
    >
    > So my string, as entered, doesn't have "::" at the beginning but for
    > some reason the generated code does. Do you know what the ":::t"
    > means?
    >
    > Is it obvious to you why this line would cause a crash on one UNIX
    > platform but not the others? Do you think that there is any way I can
    > use multi-line labels? Do you think there is a bug in BX's use of
    > CvtStringToXmString()?
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help,
    > Julie

    If you examine the generated bxutils-c.c file, there is a comment at the
    top explaining BX's use of a special format for string representations
    of compound strings. Also look at the code for function
    CvtStringToXmString in that file.

    Apparently, something goes amiss when they generate strings in this
    fashion.
    I suggest you try replacing the line that BX created with this:
    tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR( "Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );
    and see if that fixes the problem.

    Note that you cannot just put that string in via BX (the one using \n
    instead of writing it on two lines). If you do that, the generated code
    will indeed not contain the screwy "::" notation, but then BX_CONVERT
    assumes that it is not a compound string (ie, that it is a single line)
    and assumes the "\n" are two characters, a backslash followed by the
    letter n, rather than a newline.
    instead of on two lines.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Associate Technical Fellow
    Boeing Common User Interface Services

  5. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    > Julie S wrote:
    > >
    > > "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message

    our

    tries

    may

    of

    > > > Sounds like you are using builderXcessory to create the interface.

    Check
    > > > the generated source code for any calls to CvtStringToXmString(), or

    > > > BX_CONVERT()
    > > > that is converting a string resource value to an XmString for the

    widget
    > > > in question. ( Note: One thing to be wary of when using BX is NEVER
    > > > start a string literal with two colons ( "::" ). )

    > > You're right, I am using builderXcessory to create the interface. I
    > > am entering the label name as:
    > >
    > > Records
    > > 1 Record=512xBlockSize
    > >
    > > The code that is generated for this is:
    > > tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    > > (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    > > XmRXmString, 0, &argok);
    > >
    > > which is the line I am crashing on.
    > >
    > > So my string, as entered, doesn't have "::" at the beginning but for
    > > some reason the generated code does. Do you know what the ":::t"
    > > means?
    > >
    > > Is it obvious to you why this line would cause a crash on one UNIX
    > > platform but not the others? Do you think that there is any way I can
    > > use multi-line labels? Do you think there is a bug in BX's use of
    > > CvtStringToXmString()?
    > >
    > > Thank you so much for your help,
    > > Julie

    > If you examine the generated bxutils-c.c file, there is a comment at the
    > top explaining BX's use of a special format for string representations
    > of compound strings. Also look at the code for function
    > CvtStringToXmString in that file.
    >
    > Apparently, something goes amiss when they generate strings in this
    > fashion.
    > I suggest you try replacing the line that BX created with this:
    > tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR( "Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    > XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );
    > and see if that fixes the problem.
    >
    > Note that you cannot just put that string in via BX (the one using \n
    > instead of writing it on two lines). If you do that, the generated code
    > will indeed not contain the screwy "::" notation, but then BX_CONVERT
    > assumes that it is not a compound string (ie, that it is a single line)
    > and assumes the "\n" are two characters, a backslash followed by the
    > letter n, rather than a newline.
    > instead of on two lines.
    > --
    > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > Associate Technical Fellow
    > Boeing Common User Interface Services

    ICS support handles both BX issues as well as Motif programming questions.
    Julie, please feel free to submit them!

    Regards,

    Mark

  6. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    Fred, you're a genious, thank you.

    I have taken out the line of code generated by Builder Xcessory:
    tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    XmRXmString, 0, &argok);

    and replaced it with:

    tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR("Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );

    It works great, now, no crashing on any of my 5 UNIX platforms.

    If Mark from ICS can tell me a way to make this change permanently in
    the code generator so I don't need to edit generated code, I'd be most
    appreciative.
    Thanks again, Fred,

    Julie

    "Mark Hatch" wrote in message news:...
    > "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message
    > >

    > > Julie S wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Fred L. Kleinschmidt" wrote in message

    > our

    > tries

    > may

    > of

    > Check

    > widget
    > > >
    > > > You're right, I am using builderXcessory to create the interface. I
    > > > am entering the label name as:
    > > >
    > > > Records
    > > > 1 Record=512xBlockSize
    > > >
    > > > The code that is generated for this is:
    > > > tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    > > > (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    > > > XmRXmString, 0, &argok);
    > > >
    > > > which is the line I am crashing on.
    > > >
    > > > So my string, as entered, doesn't have "::" at the beginning but for
    > > > some reason the generated code does. Do you know what the ":::t"
    > > > means?
    > > >
    > > > Is it obvious to you why this line would cause a crash on one UNIX
    > > > platform but not the others? Do you think that there is any way I can
    > > > use multi-line labels? Do you think there is a bug in BX's use of
    > > > CvtStringToXmString()?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you so much for your help,
    > > > Julie

    > > If you examine the generated bxutils-c.c file, there is a comment at the
    > > top explaining BX's use of a special format for string representations
    > > of compound strings. Also look at the code for function
    > > CvtStringToXmString in that file.
    > >
    > > Apparently, something goes amiss when they generate strings in this
    > > fashion.
    > > I suggest you try replacing the line that BX created with this:
    > > tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR( "Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    > > XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );
    > > and see if that fixes the problem.
    > >
    > > Note that you cannot just put that string in via BX (the one using \n
    > > instead of writing it on two lines). If you do that, the generated code
    > > will indeed not contain the screwy "::" notation, but then BX_CONVERT
    > > assumes that it is not a compound string (ie, that it is a single line)
    > > and assumes the "\n" are two characters, a backslash followed by the
    > > letter n, rather than a newline.
    > > instead of on two lines.
    > > --
    > > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > > Associate Technical Fellow
    > > Boeing Common User Interface Services

    > ICS support handles both BX issues as well as Motif programming questions.
    > Julie, please feel free to submit them!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark

  7. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    "Julie S" wrote in message
    news:97b069a2.0309041014.5747062b@posting.google.c om...
    > Fred, you're a genious, thank you.
    >
    > I have taken out the line of code generated by Builder Xcessory:
    > tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    > (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    > XmRXmString, 0, &argok);
    >
    > and replaced it with:
    >
    > tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR("Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    > XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );
    >
    > It works great, now, no crashing on any of my 5 UNIX platforms.
    >
    > If Mark from ICS can tell me a way to make this change permanently in
    > the code generator so I don't need to edit generated code, I'd be most
    > appreciative.
    > Thanks again, Fred,
    >
    > Julie

    Julie,

    Send the request to support at ics.com and I'll get someone to figure out
    why we're doing what we're doing. (This might also be fixed in BX 6, as I
    recall you're on BX 4?)

  8. Re: XmLabel widget using \n (multi-line) crashes on a DEC Alpha V4.0

    "Mark Hatch" wrote in message news:...
    > "Julie S" wrote in message
    > news:97b069a2.0309041014.5747062b@posting.google.c om...
    > > Fred, you're a genious, thank you.
    > >
    > > I have taken out the line of code generated by Builder Xcessory:
    > > tmp0 = (XmString) BX_CONVERT(class_in->unit_radiobuttons,
    > > (char *)":::t\"Records \"\"1 Record=512xBlockSize\"",
    > > XmRXmString, 0, &argok);
    > >
    > > and replaced it with:
    > >
    > > tmp0 = XmStringCreateLtoR("Records\n1 Record=512xBlockSize",
    > > XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG );
    > >
    > > It works great, now, no crashing on any of my 5 UNIX platforms.
    > >
    > > If Mark from ICS can tell me a way to make this change permanently in
    > > the code generator so I don't need to edit generated code, I'd be most
    > > appreciative.
    > > Thanks again, Fred,
    > >
    > > Julie
    > >

    > Julie,
    >
    > Send the request to support at ics.com and I'll get someone to figure out
    > why we're doing what we're doing. (This might also be fixed in BX 6, as I
    > recall you're on BX 4?)

    Hi Mark,
    Actually we're on BX 5. We have BX 6 but there were some
    incompatibilities that made it hard for us to move to it, although I
    can't give you the lowdown on that because it was 8 months ago that we
    attempted it. I recently tried getting back to it but had some
    installation problems and put it on hold since we're busy getting
    releases out right now. Thank you very much for your offer.

    Julie

+ Reply to Thread