Q. about modality - Motif

This is a discussion on Q. about modality - Motif ; My application creates, besides its main window, a few modeless helper windows. So far, so good. Sometimes the user has to use some feature that is interfaced by an modal dialog. Currently I use XmDIALOG_FULL_APPLICATION_MODAL, and when the dialog is ...

  1. Q. about modality

    My application creates, besides its main window, a few modeless helper
    windows. So far, so good.

    Sometimes the user has to use some feature that is interfaced by an
    modal dialog. Currently I use XmDIALOG_FULL_APPLICATION_MODAL, and
    when the dialog is open the helper windows can be made visible, but
    are not responsive.

    I know that if I use PRIMARY_APPLICATION_MODAL for the dialogs, the
    helper windows will become responsive. My problem is, some of the
    helpers SHOULD stay unresponsive, and some helpers should only perform
    a subset of their normal operations.

    Is there some recipe for such a goal?

  2. Re: Q. about modality

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:

    > I know that if I use PRIMARY_APPLICATION_MODAL for the dialogs, the
    > helper windows will become responsive. My problem is, some of the
    > helpers SHOULD stay unresponsive, and some helpers should only perform
    > a subset of their normal operations.

    I will recycle the answer which Andre Majorel just gave me
    with respect to window titles in UTF8 encoding.

    It appears that your application needs tight integration with
    the window manager, so you should try setting the more
    advanced window properties with XChangeProperty()
    Check this document
    http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-...-spec-1.4.html

    DuĊĦan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si