Text input failure - Motif

This is a discussion on Text input failure - Motif ; Hi, I am investigating a rare bug with our X/MOTIF application. It has only been witnessed twice in the last 8 months or so. I'm wondering if anyone can provide any clues. The ability to enter text via the keyboard ...

  1. Text input failure

    Hi,

    I am investigating a rare bug with our X/MOTIF application. It has
    only been witnessed twice in the last 8 months or so. I'm wondering if
    anyone can provide any clues.

    The ability to enter text via the keyboard into a text widget fails.
    The widget focus can be changed, but no keyboard input is accepted.
    One window is special in that it handles the KeyPress event at the
    application level (so a text message can be entered without a text
    widget) and this appears to work fine. So it would appear that
    KeyPress' are getting through, and the problem is perhaps with the
    text widget. About 20 minutes later or so the problem disappears and
    text widgets begin to function normally again (this happened just
    before I was about to attach the debugger). I can't recreate the
    problem, and it hasn't been seen by testing since.

    I have been through the debug traces and only found one interesting
    message:

    "Warning: Actions not found: backward-character, forward-character,
    delete-next-character, delete-previous-character, prev-tab-group, next-
    tab-group, focusOut"

    I suspect that if the forward-character action is lost then the
    ability to enter text in a text widget may be lost. Is that true? And
    what could possible cause such behaviour at run-time? I would expect
    such a problem to occur only during initialization.

    Thanks,
    Jevon

  2. Re: Text input failure

    On Jan 14, 6:27*pm, cantthinkofanickname
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am investigating a rare bug with our X/MOTIF application. It has
    > only been witnessed twice in the last 8 months or so. I'm wondering if
    > anyone can provide any clues.
    >
    > The ability to enter text via the keyboard into a text widget fails.
    > The widget focus can be changed, but no keyboard input is accepted.
    > One window is special in that it handles the KeyPress event at the
    > application level (so a text message can be entered without a text
    > widget) and this appears to work fine. So it would appear that
    > KeyPress' are getting through, and the problem is perhaps with the
    > text widget. About 20 minutes later or so the problem disappears and
    > text widgets begin to function normally again (this happened just
    > before I was about to attach the debugger). I can't recreate the
    > problem, and it hasn't been seen by testing since.
    >
    > I have been through the debug traces and only found one interesting
    > message:
    >
    > "Warning: Actions not found: backward-character, forward-character,
    > delete-next-character, delete-previous-character, prev-tab-group, next-
    > tab-group, focusOut"
    >
    > I suspect that if the forward-character action is lost then the
    > ability to enter text in a text widget may be lost. Is that true? And
    > what could possible cause such behaviour at run-time? I would expect
    > such a problem to occur only during initialization.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jevon

    The actions named are actually functions registered with the
    Translation
    Manager. I can think of several ways the actions might not be found:
    1) Memory has been corrupted, and the action pointers are invalid.
    This
    is probably not the cause, since it would be unlikely that they would
    be arbittrarily restored again to work correctly some time later.
    2) The Motif libraries are being loaded dynamically (shared), and
    either
    the library cannot be found or there is insufficient memory available
    to load the shared modules.
    --
    Fred Kleinschmidt

+ Reply to Thread