OpenMotif on linux debian etch - Motif

This is a discussion on OpenMotif on linux debian etch - Motif ; Apparently, in that distro, which is the current stable, openmotif (known in debian as libmotif) is absent, for reasons I have not yet been able to fathom. Even though it was present in sarge (the previous stable) and is *again* ...

  1. OpenMotif on linux debian etch

    Apparently, in that distro, which is the current stable, openmotif
    (known in debian as libmotif) is absent, for reasons I have not yet
    been able to fathom. Even though it was present in sarge (the previous
    stable) and is *again* present in testing/unstable.

    Its not a disaster, I was able to pick the libmotif sources from
    unstable and compile and repackage them on stable. With, I hope,
    correct version numbers...

    But I would still be very much interested in whatever info anyone has
    on that topic.

  2. Re: OpenMotif on linux debian etch

    Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    > But I would still be very much interested in whatever info anyone has
    > on that topic.

    Here are some related threads
    http://www.motifzone.org/forum/viewt...ghlight=debian
    I must say I totally agree with this guy
    http://www.beranger.org/index.php?article=1524&page=3k

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: OpenMotif on linux debian etch

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:36:44 +0100, arahne wrote:

    >Michel Bardiaux wrote:
    >> But I would still be very much interested in whatever info anyone has
    >> on that topic.

    >Here are some related threads
    >http://www.motifzone.org/forum/viewt...ghlight=debian
    >I must say I totally agree with this guy

    Uh, which one?

    >http://www.beranger.org/index.php?article=1524&page=3k

    Anyway, these urls concern fedora, not debian etch. From my more
    recent web searches, it seems the problem in etch was indeed that the
    maintainer resigned.

    That said, the probleme could indeed pop up in debian too, it just
    takes a little fanatical fever.

    I am subscribed on the lesstif mailing list, and believe me, the FC
    announcement has *not* started a revival of development in lesstif.
    Just a resounding silence!

    The problem is, total binary compatibility (and I mean bug-for-bug)
    was never a goal of the project, which means an app tweaked to work
    with OM will often *not* work well with lesstif even if recompiled,
    and *never* if not recompiled.

    >Dušan Peterc
    >http://www.arahne.si

+ Reply to Thread