moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian - Motif

This is a discussion on moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian - Motif ; Has anyone been able to build moxfm on a recent *ubuntu or Debian Linux distro? This classic file manager looks very good to me, but I can't seem to get it to compile. I'm on Kubuntu 6.10 (did away with ...

  1. moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian

    Has anyone been able to build moxfm on a recent *ubuntu or Debian Linux
    distro? This classic file manager looks very good to me, but I can't
    seem to get it to compile. I'm on Kubuntu 6.10 (did away with KDE and
    switched to mwm). TIA!

    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    "Un alcolizzato è una persona che beve più del suo medico"
    (legge di Barach)

  2. Re: moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian

    Jazzman wrote:
    > Has anyone been able to build moxfm on a recent *ubuntu or Debian Linux
    > distro? This classic file manager looks very good to me, but I can't
    > seem to get it to compile. I'm on Kubuntu 6.10 (did away with KDE and
    > switched to mwm). TIA!

    I haven't been able to compile moxfm in years, not even the 1.0.1
    version with Bob Woodside's patches, which were intended to resurrect
    it from the obscurity into which it had sunk. I'm sure it can be
    fixed, it's just sloppy stuff that the compiler won't allow anymore.
    But I've been using xplore instead. You might want to give it a try,
    it's based on moxfm but it's been kept more up-to-date.

    You can find it here:

    http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mai...ore/xplore.php

    The 1.0.1 version of moxfm is here:

    http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mai...g/xfm/xfm.html

  3. Re: moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian

    Chris Sorenson dixit:

    > I haven't been able to compile moxfm in years, not even the 1.0.1
    > version with Bob Woodside's patches, which were intended to resurrect
    > it from the obscurity into which it had sunk. I'm sure it can be
    > fixed, it's just sloppy stuff that the compiler won't allow anymore.

    Thanks for pointing me towards version 1.0.1: guess what, I was able to
    compile it today! Before reading your message, I was inadvertentely
    working on an older beta, which really was hopeless.

    Apart from the ever enjoyable dependency hunt, commenting out line 203
    in regexp/regexp.c did the trick.

    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    "'Io' è una parola dai molti significati, la somma dei quali
    è uguale alla popolazione mondiale" (Uncyclopedia)

  4. Re: moxfm on Ubuntu or Debian

    Jazzman wrote:

    > Thanks for pointing me towards version 1.0.1: guess what, I was able to
    > compile it today! Before reading your message, I was inadvertentely
    > working on an older beta, which really was hopeless.
    >
    > Apart from the ever enjoyable dependency hunt, commenting out line 203
    > in regexp/regexp.c did the trick.

    Thanks for pointing me toward line 203, I just tried changing it to

    extern void * malloc();

    and it worked fine, so now I've got a working version of moxfm for the
    first time in years...

+ Reply to Thread