redirect port - modssl

This is a discussion on redirect port - modssl ; I have been using Apache/2.2.3 and Tomcat 5.5 as standalone servers. I'm adding ssl with mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp to access tomcat via ssl. I access my static content and cgi via http://www.mydomain.com/ and use mod_rewrite in .htaccess to redirect to ...

  1. redirect port

    I have been using Apache/2.2.3 and Tomcat 5.5 as standalone servers. I'm
    adding ssl with mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp to access tomcat via ssl.

    I access my static content and cgi via http://www.mydomain.com/ and use
    mod_rewrite in .htaccess to redirect to https. This works fine as desired.

    I can access my webapp via http://www.mydomain.com:8080/MyWebApp, and this
    is the url users have book marked. This continues to work. I can also access
    https://www.mydomain.com/MyWebApp.

    What I'd like to do is force a redirect from
    http://www.mydomain.com:8080/MyWebApp to https://www.mydomain.com/MyWebApp

    Note; tomcat is not under the apache webroot

    Any assistance appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tim

  2. Re: redirect port

    A few more hours of investigation revealed the solution;

    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mydomain.com:8080 [NC]
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://www.mydomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

    Sorry bout the html mail earlier.

    Tim