I have several web servers currently that all have the same IP, but
different host names, and I have an apache that uses mod_proxy to
direct requests to the correct internal server to process the request.

I would like to use my apache proxy server to provide SSL encryption
and decryption, and not have to have each individual server do that.

Is that possible?

I have worked with virtual host configuration, and I have tried to set
up the ssl stuff so that this will work, but so far I have not been
successful.

I have tried to search for this, but the closest I have come is proxy
to an ssl server. I want to have the proxy server do the ssl stuff
for me.

Can anyone provide instructions or links?

Thanks.