Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work - modssl

This is a discussion on Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work - modssl ; HI! (Re-sent since my message through gmane didn't come through.) Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious but it seems that env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID is not set when using a client cert for authentication. The following env vars displayed in my SSI ...

  1. Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    HI!

    (Re-sent since my message through gmane didn't come through.)

    Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious but it seems that env var
    SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID is not set when using a client cert for authentication.

    The following env vars displayed in my SSI HTML text are relevant here
    (obfuscated to protect privacy):

    SSL_CLIENT_S_DN: /O=Company Name/OU=Authc/UID=userid/CN=Full name
    SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID: (none)

    Is it caused by UID not being the leaf RDN?

    Ciao, Michael.

  2. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:13:45AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    > HI!
    >
    > (Re-sent since my message through gmane didn't come through.)
    >
    > Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious but it seems that env var
    > SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID is not set when using a client cert for authentication.
    >
    > The following env vars displayed in my SSI HTML text are relevant here
    > (obfuscated to protect privacy):
    >
    > SSL_CLIENT_S_DN: /O=Company Name/OU=Authc/UID=userid/CN=Full name
    > SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID: (none)
    >
    > Is it caused by UID not being the leaf RDN?

    That shouldn't make any difference. What versions of OpenSSL and
    httpd/mod_ssl are you using? The "UID" DN tag is ambiguous and probably
    maps to something other than what your subject DN uses.

    In the current 2.x mod_ssl sources, UID maps to:

    #ifdef NID_x500UniqueIdentifier /* new name as of Openssl 0.9.7 */
    { "UID", NID_x500UniqueIdentifier },
    #else /* old name, OpenSSL < 0.9.7 */
    { "UID", NID_uniqueIdentifier },
    #endif

    joe

  3. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Joe,

    many thanks for your response.

    Joe Orton wrote:
    > On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:13:45AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious but it seems that env var
    >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID is not set when using a client cert for authentication.
    >>
    >> The following env vars displayed in my SSI HTML text are relevant here
    >> (obfuscated to protect privacy):
    >>
    >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN: /O=Company Name/OU=Authc/UID=userid/CN=Full name
    >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID: (none)
    >>
    >> Is it caused by UID not being the leaf RDN?

    > That shouldn't make any difference.

    Ok, fine.

    > What versions of OpenSSL and httpd/mod_ssl are you using?

    Actually pre-built RPMs shipped with openSUSE 10.3:

    # rpm -q openssl apache2
    openssl-0.9.8e-45.5
    apache2-2.2.4-70.4

    Not sure whether these RPMs are based on sources patched by openSUSE.

    > The "UID" DN tag is ambiguous and probably
    > maps to something other than what your subject DN uses.
    >
    > In the current 2.x mod_ssl sources, UID maps to:
    >
    > #ifdef NID_x500UniqueIdentifier /* new name as of Openssl 0.9.7 */
    > { "UID", NID_x500UniqueIdentifier },
    > #else /* old name, OpenSSL < 0.9.7 */
    > { "UID", NID_uniqueIdentifier },
    > #endif

    Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID"
    in env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the
    attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that
    the cert contains the right OID?

    If NID_x500UniqueIdentifier maps to OID 2.5.4.45 it's plain wrong anyway...

    Ciao, Michael.

  4. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:46:48PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >> In the current 2.x mod_ssl sources, UID maps to:
    >>
    >> #ifdef NID_x500UniqueIdentifier /* new name as of Openssl 0.9.7 */
    >> { "UID", NID_x500UniqueIdentifier },
    >> #else /* old name, OpenSSL < 0.9.7 */
    >> { "UID", NID_uniqueIdentifier },
    >> #endif

    > Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID" in
    > env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the
    > attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that the
    > cert contains the right OID?

    No, unfortunately there is disparity between mod_ssl and OpenSSL here.
    (I don't know why; I think historically the short name mappings were not
    unique in OpenSSL possibly, something like that)

    OpenSSL uses "UID" for NID_userId (OID mapping an exercise for the
    reader, see obj_mac.h in OpenSSL . So in fact that's the tag used for
    that RDN.

    > If NID_x500UniqueIdentifier maps to OID 2.5.4.45 it's plain wrong anyway...

    It does indeed map to that OID... wrong in what sense?

    joe

  5. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Joe Orton wrote:
    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:46:48PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >> Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID" in
    >> env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the
    >> attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that the
    >> cert contains the right OID?

    > No, unfortunately there is disparity between mod_ssl and OpenSSL here.
    > (I don't know why; I think historically the short name mappings were not
    > unique in OpenSSL possibly, something like that)

    Hmmpf! So the string representation of SSL_CLIENT_S_DN is completely
    generated by OpenSSL whereas the single attribute types are generated by
    mod_ssl by looking at the cert's OID?

    >> If NID_x500UniqueIdentifier maps to OID 2.5.4.45 it's plain wrong anyway...

    > It does indeed map to that OID... wrong in what sense?

    Because the syntax assigned to attribute type 'x500UniqueIdentifier'
    (OID 2.5.4.45) is 'Bit String' (OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.6) which
    cannot be used to store a user ID with characters like 'ABCDEF'.

    http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/2.5.4.45.html

    Ciao, Michael.

  6. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Joe Orton wrote:
    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:46:48PM +0200, Michael Strder wrote:
    >>> In the current 2.x mod_ssl sources, UID maps to:
    >>>
    >>> #ifdef NID_x500UniqueIdentifier /* new name as of Openssl 0.9.7 */
    >>> { "UID", NID_x500UniqueIdentifier },
    >>> #else /* old name, OpenSSL < 0.9.7 */
    >>> { "UID", NID_uniqueIdentifier },
    >>> #endif

    >> Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID" in
    >> env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the
    >> attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that the
    >> cert contains the right OID?

    > No, unfortunately there is disparity between mod_ssl and OpenSSL here.
    > (I don't know why; I think historically the short name mappings were not
    > unique in OpenSSL possibly, something like that)
    >
    > OpenSSL uses "UID" for NID_userId (OID mapping an exercise for the
    > reader, see obj_mac.h in OpenSSL . So in fact that's the tag used for
    > that RDN.

    Ok, then the OID in my cert is 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 (attribute type
    'uid' specified for pilotPerson). That seems right to me since it's
    compliant with RFC 4514 which contains a table of short and long
    attribute type names and their OIDs (end of chapter 3).

    But now I don't understand the #ifdef-statement mentioned above. From my
    understanding it MUST NOT reference NID_x500UniqueIdentifier. It MUST
    reference NID_userId. To me that looks clearly like a bug in mod_ssl.

    Ciao, Michael.

  7. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:23:34PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    > Ok, then the OID in my cert is 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 (attribute type
    > 'uid' specified for pilotPerson). That seems right to me since it's
    > compliant with RFC 4514 which contains a table of short and long attribute
    > type names and their OIDs (end of chapter 3).
    >
    > But now I don't understand the #ifdef-statement mentioned above. From my
    > understanding it MUST NOT reference NID_x500UniqueIdentifier. It MUST
    > reference NID_userId. To me that looks clearly like a bug in mod_ssl.

    Changing it would break backwards-compat which is why the #ifdef is
    there (so that the _UID variable refers to the same OID regardless of
    what OpenSSL version si use).

    But I don't disagree that it was wrong in the first place. I vaguely
    recall discussing this somewhere before and deciding we needed an extra
    _UserID-like variable so people can get the (commoner) pilotPerson-type
    uid attribute out of the DN too.

    joe

  8. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Joe Orton wrote:
    > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:23:34PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >> Ok, then the OID in my cert is 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 (attribute type
    >> 'uid' specified for pilotPerson). That seems right to me since it's
    >> compliant with RFC 4514 which contains a table of short and long attribute
    >> type names and their OIDs (end of chapter 3).
    >>
    >> But now I don't understand the #ifdef-statement mentioned above. From my
    >> understanding it MUST NOT reference NID_x500UniqueIdentifier. It MUST
    >> reference NID_userId. To me that looks clearly like a bug in mod_ssl.

    > Changing it would break backwards-compat which is why the #ifdef is
    > there (so that the _UID variable refers to the same OID regardless of
    > what OpenSSL version si use).

    1. I seriously doubt that there are any certs out there which use
    x500UniqueIdentifier in the subject-DN. If yes, then these certs are
    also seriously broken.

    2. It's simply broken that attribute type UID in mod_ssl differs from
    OpenSSL here.

    Ciao, Michael.

  9. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Michael Ströder wrote:
    > Joe Orton wrote:
    >> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:23:34PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >>> Ok, then the OID in my cert is 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 (attribute
    >>> type 'uid' specified for pilotPerson). That seems right to me since
    >>> it's compliant with RFC 4514 which contains a table of short and long
    >>> attribute type names and their OIDs (end of chapter 3).
    >>>
    >>> But now I don't understand the #ifdef-statement mentioned above. From
    >>> my understanding it MUST NOT reference NID_x500UniqueIdentifier. It
    >>> MUST reference NID_userId. To me that looks clearly like a bug in
    >>> mod_ssl.

    >> Changing it would break backwards-compat which is why the #ifdef is
    >> there (so that the _UID variable refers to the same OID regardless of
    >> what OpenSSL version si use).

    To come around this: How about letting the deployer specify the OIDs in
    httpd.conf? Backwards-compability could be achieved with this.

    Ciao, Michael.

  10. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    DONT SEND ME THIS CRAP THANK'S
    -------------- Original message from Michael Ströder : --------------

    > Joe,
    >
    > many thanks for your response.
    >
    > Joe Orton wrote:
    > > On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:13:45AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious but it seems that env var
    > >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID is not set when using a client cert for authentication.
    > >>
    > >> The following env vars displayed in my SSI HTML text are relevant here
    > >> (obfuscated to protect privacy):
    > >>
    > >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN: /O=Company Name/OU=Authc/UID=userid/CN=Full name
    > >> SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID: (none)
    > >>
    > >> Is it caused by UID not being the leaf RDN?

    > > That shouldn't make any difference.

    > Ok, fine.
    >
    > > What versions of OpenSSL and httpd/mod_ssl are you using?

    > Actually pre-built RPMs shipped with openSUSE 10.3:
    >
    > # rpm -q openssl apache2
    > openssl-0.9.8e-45.5
    > apache2-2.2.4-70.4
    >
    > Not sure whether these RPMs are based on sources patched by openSUSE.
    >
    > > The "UID" DN tag is ambiguous and probably
    > > maps to something other than what your subject DN uses.
    > >
    > > In the current 2.x mod_ssl sources, UID maps to:
    > >
    > > #ifdef NID_x500UniqueIdentifier /* new name as of Openssl 0.9.7 */
    > > { "UID", NID_x500UniqueIdentifier },
    > > #else /* old name, OpenSSL < 0.9.7 */
    > > { "UID", NID_uniqueIdentifier },
    > > #endif

    > Hmm, the user ID is already stored by mod_ssl with attribute name "UID"
    > in env var SSL_CLIENT_S_DN. Given that it's OpenSSL 0.9.8 and that the
    > attribute type seems to be interpreted as UID is it safe to assume that
    > the cert contains the right OID?
    >
    > If NID_x500UniqueIdentifier maps to OID 2.5.4.45 it's plain wrong anyway...
    >
    > Ciao, Michael.

  11. Re: Extracting SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_UID does not work

    Michael Ströder wrote:
    > Joe Orton wrote:
    >> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:23:34PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
    >>> Ok, then the OID in my cert is 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1 (attribute
    >>> type 'uid' specified for pilotPerson). That seems right to me since
    >>> it's compliant with RFC 4514 which contains a table of short and long
    >>> attribute type names and their OIDs (end of chapter 3).
    >>>
    >>> But now I don't understand the #ifdef-statement mentioned above. From
    >>> my understanding it MUST NOT reference NID_x500UniqueIdentifier. It
    >>> MUST reference NID_userId. To me that looks clearly like a bug in
    >>> mod_ssl.

    >> Changing it would break backwards-compat which is why the #ifdef is
    >> there (so that the _UID variable refers to the same OID regardless of
    >> what OpenSSL version si use).

    > 1. I seriously doubt that there are any certs out there which use
    > x500UniqueIdentifier in the subject-DN. If yes, then these certs are
    > also seriously broken.
    >
    > 2. It's simply broken that attribute type UID in mod_ssl differs from
    > OpenSSL here.

    Please take note of this Apache issue and consider the patch attached:

    https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/s...g.cgi?id=45107

    Ciao, Michael.