On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Aaron Dalton wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:30:47 -0700
> From: Aaron Dalton
> To: modssl-users@modssl.org, modssl@haddow.info
> Subject: Re: Apache with Mod ssl on a system running apache on freebsd
>
> modssl@haddow.info wrote:
> > Trying to upgrade a freebsd 6.1 that is running "Apache/1.3.39 (Unix)
> > PHP/5.2.4 with Suhosin-Patch" to include mod_ssl.
> >
> > It makes, with no problems but when I install it, it requiers Apache to be
> > deinstalled, the big problem is that Apache has a few required packages
> > that can not be removed with out a lot of problems.
> >

> You should be able to do a full "make" without deinstalling the old
> Apache. If make words, then it should only take a minute to do a "make
> deinstall reinstall." Of course, this doesn't account for time tweaking
> the conf files and debugging. This is why you really need a development
> machine that is essentially a mirror of the critical app server so you
> can do test runs and such. Or a 2nd (or 3rd) app server for redundancy
> if this server is so important. In any case, you *will* at some point
> have to down your web server to do the upgrade. That is unavoidable.

Aaron you did not read it..

The problem I have is it will not do a deinstall as there is other
packages that are using it, so a deinstall and reinstall does not work.

I have mod_ssl working on other machines, but they will be decommissioned
as soon as I get the other server up with mod_ssl.

we forgot to install mod_ssl before getting this system up, so now we are
trying to get it running.

Regards

haddow