I wrote:
> I've updated my ssl public certificate and intermediate certificate
> according to the instructions [...]
> I also made sure the file permissions match. Now apache won't start, and
> doesn't indicate any error:
> Also, nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/error_log,
> /var/log/httpd/access_log (of course), or /var/log/messages.

Okay, I figured it out. I tried breaking things until I found the same
symptom. I found that when I used the wrong private key, it had the same
symptom. Sure enough, that was the problem. The CSR I used to get the
certificate signed by Verisign was for a different key. I now have a
significantly better understanding of how the whole process works.

Why doesn't modssl provide any error message or log entry?

Is it insecure to use an old key pair? What's the appropriate thing to
do -- create a new key pair (and a new CSR) each time you renew your
signed certificate, or just re-use the old key pair and get a new signed
certificate?

Thanks,
Rick Onanian
Network Administrator