I've updated my ssl public certificate and intermediate certificate
according to the instructions at
http://www.verisign.com/support/ssl-...dev019509.html
I also made sure the file permissions match. Now apache won't start, and
doesn't indicate any error:

[root@EmpowerWeb root]# apachectl startssl
Apache/2.0.55 mod_ssl/2.0.55 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide us with the pass phrases.

Server webamc.annamaria.edu:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:
[root@EmpowerWeb root]# netstat -anp | grep 443
[root@EmpowerWeb root]#

Also, nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/error_log,
/var/log/httpd/access_log (of course), or /var/log/messages.

If I put the old certificate back, it works:

Enter pass phrase:
[root@EmpowerWeb root]# netstat -anp | grep 443
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1197/httpd
[root@EmpowerWeb root]#

How can I troubleshoot this? I don't have any experience with modssl, I've
inherited responsibility for this system. Our certificate expires in two
days.

Thanks,
Rick Onanian
Network Administrator