Are you quite certain that the LoadModule for mod_ssl has been
commented out? The reason I ask: the output from 'apachectl start'
which you provided below shows 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'.

In the log file /opt/apache-2.2.4/logs/error_log, on lines that contain
'Apache/2.2.4' and 'configured -- resuming normal operations', do
you see 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'? If so, it is still being loaded from somewhere
in your configuration.