Are you quite certain that the LoadModule for mod_ssl has been
commented out? The reason I ask: the output from 'apachectl start'
which you provided below shows 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'.

In the log file /opt/apache-2.2.4/logs/error_log, on lines that contain
'Apache/2.2.4' and 'configured -- resuming normal operations', do
you see 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'? If so, it is still being loaded from somewhere
in your configuration.

Saikat Saha wrote:
> Sorry for late response on this one. This is what we have in httpd.conf
> which is generated at compile time. This problem does not go away even
> if I comment out last four lines and restart apache. Could you please
> advise what else could be leading apache to think it is https rather
> than http?
> # Secure (SSL/TLS) connections
> #Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
> #
> # Note: The following must must be present to support
> # starting without SSL on platforms with no /dev/random equivalent
> # but a statically compiled-in mod_ssl.
> #
> SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
> SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

> With above commented out, when I try to start apache, I get following
> passphrase prompt and apache does not start even after saying passphrase
> successful, no logs in logs directory although log level is "debug"
> ]# ./apachectl start
> httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
> name, using for ServerName
> Apache/2.2.4 mod_ssl/2.2.4 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
> Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
> In order to read them you have to provide the pass phrases.
> Server (RSA)
> Enter pass phrase:
> OK: Pass Phrase Dialog successful.
> [root@rh4_109 bin]#
> Thanks you very much for your help.

>>> for pass phrase. How does apache determine that this is https whereas

>>> this is actually a http server.

>> Perhaps mod_ssl is a compiled-in module. Run 'httpd -l' to check

> this.
>>> After I enter a passphrase, it shows
>>> successful but the server never starts up. Can someone please help?

>> The reason probably can be found in Apache's error_log file.
>>> Also can apache support both http and https at different ports at the

>>> same time?

>> Yes. The defaults are port 80 for http and port 443 for https.

Automated List Manager