Sorry for late response on this one. This is what we have in httpd.conf
which is generated at compile time. This problem does not go away even
if I comment out last four lines and restart apache. Could you please
advise what else could be leading apache to think it is https rather
than http?

# Secure (SSL/TLS) connections
#Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
# Note: The following must must be present to support
# starting without SSL on platforms with no /dev/random equivalent
# but a statically compiled-in mod_ssl.

SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

With above commented out, when I try to start apache, I get following
passphrase prompt and apache does not start even after saying passphrase
successful, no logs in logs directory although log level is "debug"

]# ./apachectl start
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using for ServerName
Apache/2.2.4 mod_ssl/2.2.4 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide the pass phrases.

Server (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:

OK: Pass Phrase Dialog successful.
[root@rh4_109 bin]#