From: owner-modssl-users@modssl.org
[mailtowner-modssl-users@modssl.org] On Behalf Of John Nichel
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:03 AM
To: mod_ssl List
Subject: Random SSL Problems

Hi List,

I having an issue here on a newly setup webserver that I'm hoping you
can help me with. For some reason, when some of our customers click to
go into the secure area of our site, they're getting the Plain Jane IE
error page of "Page cannot be displayed". When this happens, I get an
error like this in the error log:

> [Thu May 31 09:29:10 2007] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted

by system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error
follows)
> [Thu May 31 09:29:10 2007] [error] System: Connection reset by peer

(errno: 104)

I found this error in numerous results doing Google searches, but none
of them seem to be relevant to my issue. There doesn't seem to be any
rhyme or reason as to who or why. We've had customers call after they
experience the issue who were using browsers like IE 6 and IE 7, but
we've also had success with other customers using those same browsers (I
cannot reproduce the problem locally). I cannot be sure of the exact
percentage of errors, but looking at our order volume, it seems to be
happening about 40% of the time.

The install is configured and compiled from source on a RHEL4 box:

Apache 1.3.37
mod_ssl 2.8.28
OpenSSL 0.9.8e

And these modules are loaded into Apache:

mod_pythonmod_perl, mod_php4, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so,
mod_unique_id, mod_log_forensic, mod_usertrack, mod_headers,
mod_expires, mod_cern_meta, mod_proxy, mod_digest, mod_auth_dbm,
mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias,
mod_userdir, mod_speling, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi,
mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status,
mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_mime_magic, mod_log_config, mod_define,
mod_env, mod_vhost_alias, http_core

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--=20
John C. Nichel IV