Sounds to me like sem files have gotten the best of you. Did you
compile Apache with mm? Try using ipcclean to clean up the semaphores.

Google for ipcclean, while its intentions and uses were meant for
postgres, it basically removes the semaphores for any user (including
apache's user, what ever that may be on your server).

Btw this is more of an Apache related problem as opposed to mod_ssl
problem :-).