I am having the same problem: here is what I have:

testbox:/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.34 # CFLAGS='-DEAPI' \
> SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.8a \
> ./configure \
> --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
> --enable-module=ssl \
> --enable-shared=ssl \
> --enable-module=rewrite \
> --enable-shared=max \
> --enable-module=so \
> --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
> --with-ssl=../openssl_0.9.8a \
> --enable-module=perl

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.34
+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
configure:Error: No such module named 'ssl'

Anyone know how to compile Apache with mod-ssl? I have done it several
times before, but for some reason I'm having a problem this time. Very
odd.

What should I look for?

Matthew

Since my question about MAGIC_COOKIE_EAPI was never answered, I'm
coming
back at the same general problem from a different angle.

I'm still trying to compile Apache 1.3.26 with Mod_SSL 2.8.10.
Following the
instructions, I've successfully compiled OpenSSL 0.9.6g; however, I
didn't
"fully" put it onto my system, it's currently living in
/home/packages/openssl-0.9.6g. Next, I configured mod_ssl with that
location
of OpenSSL; it had no problems. However, when I try to configure Apache
with
this line:

SSL_BASE=/home/packages/openssl-0.9.6g/ ./configure --enable-module=ssl

--prefix=/usr/local/apache/ --enable-module=so
--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

I get an immediate error of "configure:Error: No such module named
'ssl'".

This would seem to be something pretty obvious/basic. What might I be
doing
wrong here?

Alex Kirk