Hi Georg,

after I emailed the list, I found this info:

It appears that the Apache/mod_ssl "SSLProxyProtocol" directive lets
you limit the ciphers that the proxy will use (as a client) to the
back-end server. I also found the following research report, which
talks about performance of SSL protocol and various ciphers:

I'll continue to work on this and report back to the list if/when I
find something conclusive. In the meantime, if anyone on the mod_ssl
list has further suggestions, I'm all ears