Solution (mostly) found. The problem is with a misconfiguration of
the Fecora Core 4
http configuration tool: the tool doesn't know about the split in
configuration files
in core 4 (httpd.conf in /etc/httpd/conf, ssl.conf in /etc/httpd/
conf.d). ssl.conf already
contains a Listen on 443 directive, so the listen on 443 directive
which the configuration
tool creates in httpd.conf is a duplicate, and causes a duplicate
listener problem.

I'll report the bug on bugzilla (my solution is to comment out the
listent directive in ssl.conf,
so I can still use the configuration tool). I'm still left with one
relatively minor problem. Fedora has a nice
Makefile support for creating certificates, including self-signed
certificates, which is what I
need. However there is no provision for creating a chain file, yet
the configuration tool insists
on there being one (it crashes otherwise). I put in a ca-bundle, and
it appears to work, but it's
clearly not the right solution. What should go there? Or is there an
appropriate way to create
my own chain file? Or is the configuration tool just wrong in
insisting on one?

Thanks for any suggestions
Bob McKay

On 29/09/2005, at 21:13, Cliff Woolley wrote:

>> However the key information really is missing. So it looks like this
>> may be a problem in the fedora httpd configuration tool, because
>> the key
>> information definitely is
>> there in the virtual host configuration in the gui, it's just not
>> getting saved for some reason.
>>

> Okay... although I don't think we've yet found a good explanation for
> why you're getting the message you're getting. Perhaps duplicate
> Listen statements?

Bob McKay
521-302, School of Computer Science & Engineering,
College of Engineering, Seoul National University, San 56-1,
Sinlim-dong, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 151-744, Korea

Tel: +82 2 880 9392
email: rim@cse.snu.ac.kr
web: http://sc.snu.ac.kr