Hi,
You might be running into the same thing I did a while back with the =
/win_compiling.html"=20
instructions.
You might try the following variation:

1) The instructions for running the perl scripts to build openssl are a =
little unclear,
so please note the following:
a) First you untar the openssl so that the openssl source tree is in the
srclib/openssl directory.
b) You must cd into the the srclib/openssl directory,
then execute the perl scripts as described.

2) On windows you can't execute the command exactly as printed in
the win_compiling.html and as shown below:

perl util\mk1mf.pl dll no-asm no-mdc2 no-rc5 no-idea VC-WIN32 >makefile

3) Because windows does not distinguish "makefile" from "Makefile" this
command will overwrite the "Makefile" that is previously configured
and required for this step.

You must direct the output to another filename, e.g.
perl util\mk1mf.pl dll no-asm no-mdc2 no-rc5 no-idea VC-WIN32 =
>makefile.rel

then "nmake /f makefile.rel" for the release build.

Regards,
Bill Lange