On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:15 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>> I'm fine with people using other open source tools to get where they
>> want to go but the justifications they make about mod_perl being
>> heavier or slower rarely have any actual research behind them.

> Yeah, I wasn't making the case for mongrel or lighthttpd myself. I still
> prefer mod_perl. But that argument is out there.
>
>> Hmm, this is making me want to run benchmarks! Maybe a solid set of
>> benchmarks would be a fun OSCON presentation next year.

> Great idea.

What benchmarks won't show is the weird issues Young New Server X will
have on Esoteric Platform Y and all the other real-world pitfalls that
the long-time players in the web server field have dealt with and
worked around over the years (...where "Esoteric" may actually be "any
platform other than the three versions of Linux distro ABC that the
developers tested it on.")

(Yeah, forking, threads, sockets, shared memory, logging, etc. is "old
world tech" and seems like a solved problem, but there are many devils
in those details, IME.)

-John