64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) - modperl

This is a discussion on 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) - modperl ; Hi, I'm trying to compile mod_perl 2 on a Xeon (x86_64) box. I'm unclear as to the dependencies I need to compile it correctly. Everything is default as shipped by Apple. A bit of investigation reveals the following potential mismatch ...

  1. 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

    Hi,

    I'm trying to compile mod_perl 2 on a Xeon (x86_64) box. I'm unclear
    as to the dependencies I need to compile it correctly. Everything is
    default as shipped by Apple. A bit of investigation reveals the
    following potential mismatch -

    geonosis:~ chetan$ which perl
    /usr/bin/perl
    geonosis:~ chetan$ file `which perl`
    /usr/bin/perl: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
    /usr/bin/perl (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc
    /usr/bin/perl (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

    geonosis:~ chetan$ which httpd
    /usr/sbin/httpd
    geonosis:~ chetan$ file `which httpd`
    /usr/sbin/httpd: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
    /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc
    /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit executable ppc64
    /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
    /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable
    x86_64

    resulting in -

    httpd: Syntax error on line 117 of /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
    Cannot load /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so into server: dlopen(/usr/
    libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so, 10): no suitable image found. Did find:\n
    \t/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so: no matching architecture in
    universal wrapper

    Which is what leads me to believe that I need to build x86_64 perl and
    mod_perl to make it work. Are my assumptions correct?

    I ask because I'm having trouble building perl..

    chetan

  2. Re: 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

    Chetan Sarva wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to compile mod_perl 2 on a Xeon (x86_64) box. I'm unclear as
    > to the dependencies I need to compile it correctly. Everything is
    > default as shipped by Apple. A bit of investigation reveals the
    > following potential mismatch -

    > geonosis:~ chetan$ which httpd
    > /usr/sbin/httpd
    > geonosis:~ chetan$ file `which httpd`
    > /usr/sbin/httpd: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
    > /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc
    > /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit executable ppc64
    > /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
    > /usr/sbin/httpd (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable
    > x86_64
    >

    > resulting in -
    >
    > httpd: Syntax error on line 117 of /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
    > Cannot load /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so into server:
    > dlopen(/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so, 10): no suitable image found.
    > Did find:\n\t/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so: no matching architecture
    > in universal wrapper
    >

    > Which is what leads me to believe that I need to build x86_64 perl and
    > mod_perl to make it work. Are my assumptions correct?

    I have found Leopard's default builds to not be that developer friendly
    (perhaps a good indicator is that you have to install XCode tools to get
    gcc and do anything). I build perl, mod_perl, and httpd from source on
    my Leopard platforms. Maybe I don't need to do this, but I've suffered
    at the hands of Apple's system upgrades enough times that I have found
    it is worth my while.

    > I ask because I'm having trouble building perl..

    When you go through the perl configure process and it asks if you want
    to specify any additional CFLAGS, type '-fPIC' - this is needed for 64
    bit mod_perl. I always build perl with the prefix option, and then add
    the bin location to my PATH variable, and use that to build mod_perl.

  3. Re: 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

    On Oct 9, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Fred Moyer wrote:
    >> Which is what leads me to believe that I need to build x86_64 perl
    >> and mod_perl to make it work. Are my assumptions correct?

    > I have found Leopard's default builds to not be that developer
    > friendly (perhaps a good indicator is that you have to install XCode
    > tools to get gcc and do anything). I build perl, mod_perl, and
    > httpd from source on my Leopard platforms. Maybe I don't need to do
    > this, but I've suffered at the hands of Apple's system upgrades
    > enough times that I have found it is worth my while.
    >

    >> I ask because I'm having trouble building perl..

    > When you go through the perl configure process and it asks if you
    > want to specify any additional CFLAGS, type '-fPIC' - this is needed
    > for 64 bit mod_perl. I always build perl with the prefix option,
    > and then add the bin location to my PATH variable, and use that to
    > build mod_perl.

    Thanks, I figured as much. Perl compilation broke with the following:

    /perl installperl --destdir=
    Can't load 'lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle' for module File::Glob:
    dlopen(lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle, 1): no suitable image found.
    Did find:
    lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle: mach-o, but wrong architecture at lib/
    XSLoader.pm line 70.
    at lib/File/Glob.pm line 96
    Compilation failed in require at installperl line 132.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at installperl line 132.
    make[1]: *** [install.perl] Error 2
    make: *** [install] Error 2

    Going to configure it and try again. Not sure if I screwed up one of
    the thousand options or not...

    chetan

  4. RE: 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)

    45% commission is offered.
    see below

    --------------
    My team can work for you and for your projects.
    http://www.gecpvt.com/NoIpResume.pdf
    http://gecpvt.com/future_patents/
    http://www.gecpvt.com/Jobs
    http://www.gecpvt.com/Sales

    srinivas
    --------------

    > CC: modperl@perl.apache.org
    > From: csarva@operative.com
    > To: fred@redhotpenguin.com
    > Subject: Re: 64-bit mod_perl 2 on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    > Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:30:43 -0400
    >

    > On Oct 9, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Fred Moyer wrote:
    > >> Which is what leads me to believe that I need to build x86_64 perl
    > >> and mod_perl to make it work. Are my assumptions correct?

    > > I have found Leopard's default builds to not be that developer
    > > friendly (perhaps a good indicator is that you have to install XCode
    > > tools to get gcc and do anything). I build perl, mod_perl, and
    > > httpd from source on my Leopard platforms. Maybe I don't need to do
    > > this, but I've suffered at the hands of Apple's system upgrades
    > > enough times that I have found it is worth my while.
    > >

    > >> I ask because I'm having trouble building perl..

    > > When you go through the perl configure process and it asks if you
    > > want to specify any additional CFLAGS, type '-fPIC' - this is needed
    > > for 64 bit mod_perl. I always build perl with the prefix option,
    > > and then add the bin location to my PATH variable, and use that to
    > > build mod_perl.

    > Thanks, I figured as much. Perl compilation broke with the following:
    >
    > /perl installperl --destdir=
    > Can't load 'lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle' for module File::Glob:
    > dlopen(lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle, 1): no suitable image found.
    > Did find:
    > lib/auto/File/Glob/Glob.bundle: mach-o, but wrong architecture at lib/
    > XSLoader.pm line 70.
    > at lib/File/Glob.pm line 96
    > Compilation failed in require at installperl line 132.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at installperl line 132.
    > make[1]: *** [install.perl] Error 2
    > make: *** [install] Error 2
    >
    > Going to configure it and try again. Not sure if I screwed up one of
    > the thousand options or not...
    >
    > chetan

    Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn “10 hidden secrets” from Jamie..
    http://windowslive.com/connect/post/..._domore_092008

+ Reply to Thread