Cannot start Apache with mod_perl - modperl

This is a discussion on Cannot start Apache with mod_perl - modperl ; I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to start: Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol: modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout There's ...

  1. Cannot start Apache with mod_perl

    I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to
    start:

    Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
    /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of
    /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
    into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol:
    modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout

    There's a hint on this mailing list that mod_perl 2 and perl 5.10.0
    don't work together, but I'd like to discuss this before going back to
    5.8.8, as I don't know how to downgrade perl with yum.

    **** Machine and software details ****

    My operating system:

    [root@optimusprime ~]# more /etc/redhat-release
    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)

    [root@optimusprime ~]# uname -a
    Linux optimusprime 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:55:12 EDT 2007
    i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    Perl:

    [root@optimusprime ~]# perl -v

    This is perl, v5.10.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

    Httpd:

    [root@optimusprime ~]# httpd -v
    Server version: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix)
    Server built: Jul 14 2008 10:24:42

    Perl, httpd and mod_perl were all installed with yum. I have also tried

    perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs
    make
    make install

    Which appeared to have correctly built mod_perl.so in the right place
    (/etc/httpd/modules) but produces the same error.

    [root@optimusprime ~]# yum list mod_perl
    Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, refresh-packagekit
    Installed Packages
    mod_perl.i386 2.0.4-6
    installed

    Andrew Ircha

  2. Re: Cannot start Apache with mod_perl

    Ircha, Andrew wrote:
    > I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to
    > start:
    >
    > Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
    > /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of
    > /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
    > into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol:
    > modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout
    >
    > There's a hint on this mailing list that mod_perl 2 and perl 5.10.0
    > don't work together, but I'd like to discuss this before going back to
    > 5.8.8, as I don't know how to downgrade perl with yum.

    I'm not expert in regards to this matter, however I run mod_perl2 and
    Perl 5.10 just fine. So I'd be looking elsewhere for a solution...

    --
    _ispy++ >> ispyhumanfly@gmail.com :: use Perl;

  3. Re: Cannot start Apache with mod_perl

    ispyhumanfly wrote:
    > Ircha, Andrew wrote:
    >> I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to
    >> start:
    >>
    >> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
    >> into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol:
    >> modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout

    My gut says that you have some of the original FC8 libraries hanging
    around - if you are running 5.10.0 then your fedora install must have
    upgraded at some point. Those undefined symbol errors usually indicate
    version mismatches of the underlying libraries.

    For what it is worth, I would 'rpm -e mod_perl', then try building it
    from source. Just download 2.0.4, untar it, cd into the directory, and
    run 'perl Makefile.PL && make && make test && sudo make install', apxs
    should be in your PATH with the standard fedora setup.

    >> There's a hint on this mailing list that mod_perl 2 and perl 5.10.0
    >> don't work together, but I'd like to discuss this before going back to
    >> 5.8.8, as I don't know how to downgrade perl with yum.
    >>

    > I'm not expert in regards to this matter, however I run mod_perl2 and
    > Perl 5.10 just fine. So I'd be looking elsewhere for a solution...

  4. RE: Cannot start Apache with mod_perl

    Thanks for the suggestion. Errant symbols implied a build on the server might be an idea.

    Sad to say I tried downloading the sources and running 'perl Makefile.PL' etc before posting my message. Yes, I navigated to /etc/httpd/modules to look at mod_perl.so to check the file modification time.

    I downloaded the .gz.tar archive from the mod_perl website.

    Thanks again, but no dice.

    Actually there's a funny story about this. Makefile.PL didn't work because my perl 5.10 installation didn't have the necessary make stuff. I couldn't get the necessary stuff because CPAN.pm wasn't installed. I figured that perl wasn't correctly installed. So, I yum remove perl. Ouch!! This uninstalled about 300 packages totalling some 200+ MBytes. I then spend most of the remainder of the evening re-installing and ftp'ing the missing guts of my system. (This shows just how naive I am).

    >> I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to
    >> start:
    >>
    >> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
    >> into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol:
    >> modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout

    My gut says that you have some of the original FC8 libraries hanging
    around - if you are running 5.10.0 then your fedora install must have
    upgraded at some point. Those undefined symbol errors usually indicate
    version mismatches of the underlying libraries.

    For what it is worth, I would 'rpm -e mod_perl', then try building it
    from source. Just download 2.0.4, untar it, cd into the directory, and
    run 'perl Makefile.PL && make && make test && sudo make install', apxs
    should be in your PATH with the standard fedora setup.

    >> There's a hint on this mailing list that mod_perl 2 and perl 5.10.0
    >> don't work together, but I'd like to discuss this before going back to
    >> 5.8.8, as I don't know how to downgrade perl with yum.
    >>

    > I'm not expert in regards to this matter, however I run mod_perl2 and
    > Perl 5.10 just fine. So I'd be looking elsewhere for a solution...

  5. RE: Cannot start Apache with mod_perl

    Coming back to this, I used yum to update from mod_perl 2.0.4-6 to
    2.0.4-7 and I was able to restart httpd (Apache). Haven't done any more
    testing, but this is an encouraging start.

    ________________________________

    >> I'm attempting to run httpd with mod_perl, but the httpd refuses to
    >> start:
    >>
    >> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 10 of
    >> /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf: Cannot load

    /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
    >> into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so: undefined symbol:
    >> modperl_io_perlio_restore_stdout

    My gut says that you have some of the original FC8 libraries hanging
    around - if you are running 5.10.0 then your fedora install must have
    upgraded at some point. Those undefined symbol errors usually indicate
    version mismatches of the underlying libraries.

    For what it is worth, I would 'rpm -e mod_perl', then try building it
    from source. Just download 2.0.4, untar it, cd into the directory, and
    run 'perl Makefile.PL && make && make test && sudo make install', apxs
    should be in your PATH with the standard fedora setup.

    >> There's a hint on this mailing list that mod_perl 2 and perl 5.10.0
    >> don't work together, but I'd like to discuss this before going back

    >> 5.8.8, as I don't know how to downgrade perl with yum.
    >>

    > I'm not expert in regards to this matter, however I run mod_perl2 and
    > Perl 5.10 just fine. So I'd be looking elsewhere for a solution...

+ Reply to Thread