Re: Any success with storing photos in a database? - modperl

This is a discussion on Re: Any success with storing photos in a database? - modperl ; > Message du 29/09/08 23:05 > De : "Perrin Harkins" > A : "Mark Stosberg" > Copie Ã* : modperl@perl.apache.org > Objet : Re: Any success with storing photos in a database? > > > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 ...

  1. Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?

    > Message du 29/09/08 23:05
    > De : "Perrin Harkins"
    > A : "Mark Stosberg"
    > Copie Ã* : modperl@perl.apache.org
    > Objet : Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?
    >

    > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Mark Stosberg wrote:
    > > We have a large, busy, database application that relates to millions of
    > > photos, which we also need to store and display.

    > Have you read Cal Henderson's book about how Flickr works? It's a bit
    > extreme, but interesting. A smaller version of the "many photos"
    > problem is LiveJournal, who use their custom file storage API
    > (MogileFS) and serve the files with their own web server (perlbal).
    > I had used MogileFS for storing photos, that's a good application.See:

    http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/
    AFAIK, Perlbal is reverse proxy before the webserver, not a real web server..

    Regards,
    Jeff.

    Créez votre adresse électronique prenom.nom@laposte.net
    1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.

  2. Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Jeff Pang wrote:
    > AFAIK, Perlbal is reverse proxy before the webserver, not a real web server.

    I don't use it, but it can do auth and serve images. If you read the
    presentations about LiveJournal's backend, they explain this.

    - Perrin

  3. Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
    > I don't use it, but it can do auth and serve images.

    as can Apache itself, with appropriate access control. The two steps
    (this should not be news to anyone here) are checking the auth then
    something like "exec cat $filename" for which modperl is kind of
    heavy.

    Best to let Apache serve the images from a static directory, after
    devising some kind of dynamic .htaccess scheme driven by the smarter
    pieces of your system.

  4. Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, David Nicol wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
    >> I don't use it, but it can do auth and serve images.

    > as can Apache itself, with appropriate access control. The two steps
    > (this should not be news to anyone here) are checking the auth then
    > something like "exec cat $filename" for which modperl is kind of
    > heavy.

    Perlbal does have some unique features. It can check the auth for an
    image with your mod_perl backend and then serve the image itself.
    It's built on an event loop model and it has some direct ties to
    MogileFS. There's a good feature list here:
    http://www.danga.com/perlbal/

    I would typically stick with apache and mod_auth_tkt, but for people
    who already use MogileFS this must be a pretty attractive setup.

    - Perrin

+ Reply to Thread