How to tell when mod_proxy backend request timed out? - modperl

This is a discussion on How to tell when mod_proxy backend request timed out? - modperl ; I'm using mod_perl 2.0.3 with Apache 2.2.9 and mod_proxy for reverse proxying. Is there a way, from my mod_perl application, that I can tell when the connection to the backend server in mod_proxy timed out? I.e., mod_proxy made a connection ...

  1. How to tell when mod_proxy backend request timed out?

    I'm using mod_perl 2.0.3 with Apache 2.2.9 and mod_proxy for reverse
    proxying. Is there a way, from my mod_perl application, that I can
    tell when the connection to the backend server in mod_proxy timed out?
    I.e., mod_proxy made a connection to the backend, but the backend
    didn't respond in the configured number of timeout seconds?

    I know that there's the Apache2::RequestRec::request_time variable,
    and I can do the simple math to figure out how long ago the request
    started, but since mod_proxy does actually know when a timeout
    happens, does mod_proxy bubble that info up into something that is
    exposed by the mod_perl API anywhere? It would be nice to just have
    simple access to an error code, to know whether it was a timeout or
    just an aborted connection.

    Thanks,
    Adam

  2. Re: How to tell when mod_proxy backend request timed out?

    Adam Woodworth wrote:
    > I'm using mod_perl 2.0.3 with Apache 2.2.9 and mod_proxy for reverse
    > proxying. Is there a way, from my mod_perl application, that I can
    > tell when the connection to the backend server in mod_proxy timed out?
    > I.e., mod_proxy made a connection to the backend, but the backend
    > didn't respond in the configured number of timeout seconds?
    >
    > I know that there's the Apache2::RequestRec::request_time variable,
    > and I can do the simple math to figure out how long ago the request
    > started, but since mod_proxy does actually know when a timeout
    > happens, does mod_proxy bubble that info up into something that is
    > exposed by the mod_perl API anywhere? It would be nice to just have
    > simple access to an error code, to know whether it was a timeout or
    > just an aborted connection.

    I'm not sure if I completely understand your scenario - do you have
    mod_proxy enabled apache reverse proxying to mod_perl? If so, you can
    use $r->connection->aborted to determine if the connection is invalid.

    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/...tml#C_aborted_

  3. Re: How to tell when mod_proxy backend request timed out?

    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Adam Woodworth wrote:
    > I'm using mod_perl 2.0.3 with Apache 2.2.9 and mod_proxy for reverse
    > proxying. Is there a way, from my mod_perl application, that I can
    > tell when the connection to the backend server in mod_proxy timed out?
    > I.e., mod_proxy made a connection to the backend, but the backend
    > didn't respond in the configured number of timeout seconds?

    I hope you don't mean that you have mod_perl compiled into your
    reverse proxy. It should only be in the backend.

    I think that mod_proxy delivers a specific error message and status
    when it times out, so you can probably use ErrorDocument to specify a
    custom page for that.

    - Perrin

+ Reply to Thread