a require problem - modperl

This is a discussion on a require problem - modperl ; I have began a project, but meet some problems, say there are three dirs: |- cgi-bin |- cgi-bin - lib |- cgi-bin - template I have a script in cgi-bin, which requires the template file from template dir. This script ...

  1. a require problem

    I have began a project, but meet some problems,

    say there are three dirs:

    |- cgi-bin
    |- cgi-bin - lib
    |- cgi-bin - template

    I have a script in cgi-bin, which requires the template file from template dir.
    This script also uses a library file (.pm) from lib dir.
    Finally the library need to require the former template file too.

    say the script is myscr.pl, the lib file is mylib.pm, the template file is myttt.tmpl.

    so in myscr.pl:

    use lib './lib';
    use mylib;
    require 'template/myttt.tmpl';

    in mylib.pm:

    require '../template/myttt.tmpl';

    When I execute "perl mysrc.pl", it can't run, saying the routines in myttt.tmpl can't be found.

    How to fixup it? thanks.

    Regards,
    Jeff.

    Créez votre adresse électronique prenom.nom@laposte.net
    1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.

  2. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Jeff Pang wrote:
    > I have began a project, but meet some problems,
    >
    > say there are three dirs:
    >
    > |- cgi-bin
    > |- cgi-bin - lib
    > |- cgi-bin - template
    >

    > I have a script in cgi-bin, which requires the template file from template
    > dir.
    > This script also uses a library file (.pm) from lib dir.
    > Finally the library need to require the former template file too.
    >
    > say the script is myscr.pl, the lib file is mylib.pm, the template file is
    > myttt.tmpl.
    >
    > so in myscr.pl:
    >
    > use lib './lib';
    > use mylib;
    > require 'template/myttt.tmpl';
    >

    > in mylib.pm:
    >
    > require '../template/myttt.tmpl';
    >

    > When I execute "perl mysrc.pl", it can't run, saying the routines in
    > myttt.tmpl can't be found.

    Hi, Jeff. This list is for mod_perl development, not CGI. That said,
    you'll need to read the documentation for the template engine (which
    one are you using?) that you are using. I doubt that you want to
    simply "require" them in your script like this.

    Sean

  3. RE: a require problem

    Jeff,

    I'm running into issues with mod_perl2 that sound like they may be
    related. Are you, in fact, running this script under mod_perl? Doesthe
    myttt.tmpl file that you refer to contain Perl code that is to be
    eval'ed in your myscr.pl?

    Just yesterday I ran into a problem in which using do( $file ) or eval(
    $file ) both had problems in that they did not successfully execute the
    code in $file.

    Does that sound like your problem?

    Folks, is there some kind of setting for mod_perl2 that affects this, or
    a different way to accomplish this?

    Eric

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.

    --------
    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
    Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

  4. RE: a require problem

    Is this not a current-working-directory issue?

    This isn't terribly well documented on the mod_perl site, but from
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/.../Registry.html

    META: document that for now we don't chdir() into the script's
    dir, because it affects the whole process under threads.
    ModPerl::RegistryPrefork should be used by those who run only
    under prefork MPM.

    Try using absolute paths for 'use lib', instead of : use lib './lib'

    clint

    On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 10:53 -0400, Berg, Eric wrote:
    > Jeff,
    >
    > I'm running into issues with mod_perl2 that sound like they may be
    > related. Are you, in fact, running this script under mod_perl? Doesthe
    > myttt.tmpl file that you refer to contain Perl code that is to be
    > eval'ed in your myscr.pl?
    >
    > Just yesterday I ran into a problem in which using do( $file ) or eval(
    > $file ) both had problems in that they did not successfully execute the
    > code in $file.
    >
    > Does that sound like your problem?
    >
    > Folks, is there some kind of setting for mod_perl2 that affects this, or
    > a different way to accomplish this?
    >
    > Eric

  5. RE: a require problem

    Not for me. I hit the pwd issue early on in my (currently incredibly
    frustrating and dubious-to-the-point-of-abandonment) migration to Apache
    2.2.

    It doesn't sound like that's Jeff's problem either; he says that the
    routines can't be found, not the file.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[...]

  6. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Berg, Eric wrote:
    > Just yesterday I ran into a problem in which using do( $file ) or eval(
    > $file ) both had problems in that they did not successfully execute the
    > code in $file.

    What were the error messages from do and eval?

    > Folks, is there some kind of setting for mod_perl2 that affects this, or
    > a different way to accomplish this?

    It doesn't sound like any issue I've heard of, but it's really hard to
    say without the error message.

    - Perrin

  7. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
    > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Berg, Eric wrote:

    >> eval( $file ) ... did not successfully execute the code in $file.

    that isn't supposed to. eval( `cat $file`) should though. Or

    use Tie::Slurp;
    tie my $readfile, Tie::Slurp::Readonly => $file;
    eval $readfile;

    --
    off-topic notices are almost universally, themselves, off topic.

  8. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Clinton Gormley wrote:
    > Is this not a current-working-directory issue?
    >
    > This isn't terribly well documented on the mod_perl site, but from
    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/.../Registry.html

    Better documented here:
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user...n__and_Friends

    > Try using absolute paths for 'use lib', instead of : use lib './lib'

    Or use ModPerl::RegistryPrefork.

    - Perrin

  9. RE: a require problem

    That was part of the problem, Perrin: there were no error messages.

    Turns out that this is what's happening:

    The required file does, in fact, execute, so that's NOT the problem.

    It's a separate problem that manifests itself when using the -x file
    test.

    The included/do()'ed file contains an array of commands and an array of
    paths -- BTW, I'm working with cvsweb
    (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/cvsweb.html) -- and there's code in
    there that finds a valid full path like this:

    $cmd = 'enscript';
    $full_path{$cmd} = search_path( $cmd);

    sub search_path($) {
    my ($command) = @_;
    for my $d (@command_path) {
    my $cmd = catfile( $d, $command );
    return $cmd if ( -x $cmd && !-d _ );
    }
    return '';
    }

    The really weird thing is that when run in a CGI context, the -x test
    works as expected, but when called when running as a mod_perl2 registry
    script, it returns false, even though the file (that does exist) is
    executable by everyone. Change it back to CGI (not mod_perl) and the
    same code does work properly.

    Sorry for the confusion about the actual cause of the problem.

    Eric

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[...]

  10. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Berg, Eric wrote:
    > The really weird thing is that when run in a CGI context, the -x test
    > works as expected, but when called when running as a mod_perl2 registry
    > script, it returns false, even though the file (that does exist) is
    > executable by everyone. Change it back to CGI (not mod_perl) and the
    > same code does work properly.

    It's still most likely a permissions issue. I'd suggest trying to
    execute it as the user who your mod_perl server runs as.

    - Perrin

  11. RE: a require problem

    The mod_perl server and the CGI server are the same. It's just a
    handler configured for CGI's for *.cgi and mod_perl for *.pl, and I've
    symlinked from a .pl to the .cgi.

    The web server for CGI and mod_perl and the command line run were all
    done as the same user.

    Code like this:

    warn "$cmd is " . (-x $cmd ? "" : " not") ." EXECUTABLE\n" ;
    warn `ls -l $cmd`;

    Yields this under mod_perl:

    /usr/bin/rcsdiff is not EXECUTABLE
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff

    and this from the command line and

    /usr/bin/rcsdiff is EXECUTABLE
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff

    and in a CGI:

    /usr/bin/rcsdiff is EXECUTABLE
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff

    Same server, CGI vs mod_perl, different behavior.

    Probably not permissions. But what?

    Eric

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[...]

  12. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Berg, Eric wrote:
    > The mod_perl server and the CGI server are the same.

    Even so, CGI is often configured to execute the script as the owner of
    the file, rather than as the user running the web server, so make sure
    you really are the same user.

    > Probably not permissions. But what?

    Well, ultimately, it is permissions. I remember some discussions a
    while back on the list about gid possibly not being set correctly by
    mod_perl. You might look that up in the archives. You might also try
    checking your real and effective uid and gid under CGI and mod_perl.

    - Perrin

  13. RE: a require problem

    Could it be that during forking a different effective user id is
    set, which is what -x checks? are $<, $>, $( and $) all the same
    under cgi and mod_perl?

    (it sounds like /usr/bin/rcsdiff is not a symbolic link, which
    could be treated differently maybe, followsymlinks, etc)

    Niels L

    > The mod_perl server and the CGI server are the same. It's just a
    > handler configured for CGI's for *.cgi and mod_perl for *.pl, and I've
    > symlinked from a .pl to the .cgi.
    >
    > The web server for CGI and mod_perl and the command line run were all
    > done as the same user.
    >
    > Code like this:
    >
    > warn "$cmd is " . (-x $cmd ? "" : " not") ." EXECUTABLE\n" ;
    > warn `ls -l $cmd`;
    >
    > Yields this under mod_perl:
    >
    > /usr/bin/rcsdiff is not EXECUTABLE
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff
    >
    > and this from the command line and
    >
    > /usr/bin/rcsdiff is EXECUTABLE
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff
    >
    > and in a CGI:
    >
    > /usr/bin/rcsdiff is EXECUTABLE
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49388 Sep 21 2004 /usr/bin/rcsdiff
    >
    > Same server, CGI vs mod_perl, different behavior.
    >
    > Probably not permissions. But what?
    >
    > Eric

  14. RE: a require problem

    For me, it's the same on both.

    What could be the problem here? How can we take the next steps in
    debugging this?

    ERic

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[...]

  15. RE: a require problem

    What does 'file $cmd' (the gnu file program) say? is -e true
    under mod_perl? I'm out of ideas, but if you are certain its not
    due to different Apache configuration, then maybe sifting though
    strace output would be worth trying .. and i'm new to mod_perl
    anyway. Good luck. My errors are often obvious and found right
    in the places where I am not looking.

    Niels L

    > For me, it's the same on both.
    >
    > What could be the problem here? How can we take the next steps in
    > debugging this?
    >
    > ERic

  16. Re: a require problem

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Berg, Eric wrote:
    > For me, it's the same on both.

    Nevertheless, there have been problems in the past with GID. Are you
    running the latest mod_perl, and perl 5.8.8 or later? See this for
    background:
    http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m...2708110568&w=2

    - Perrin

  17. RE: a require problem

    I'm running this:

    Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.4
    Perl/v5.10.0

    This is not my biggest problem right now. As you know, I'm still
    wrestling with problems associated with Parallel::ForkManager.

    I'm going to put together a discrete test of this problem for
    demonstration purposes and get back to trying some different versions of
    apache, Perl and mod_perl to see if this bug was introduced at some
    point along the development path.

    Eric

[...]

+ Reply to Thread