Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8 - modperl

This is a discussion on Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8 - modperl ; I'm really new with Perl and Perl Modules... and I've really painted myself into a corner here, if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. After upgrading to Perl 5.8.8 from 5.8.0 the following happens... 1) When I ...

  1. Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    I'm really new with Perl and Perl Modules... and I've really painted myself
    into a corner here, if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

    After upgrading to Perl 5.8.8 from 5.8.0 the following happens...

    1) When I try to finish installing Perl Modules I get to Apache::Cookie and
    I get this...

    cpan[1]> install Apache::Cookie
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.15)
    Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:02:45 GMT
    Running install for module 'Apache::Cookie'
    Running make for G/GE/GEOFF/libapreq-1.33.tar.gz

    CPAN: checksum security checks disabled because Digest::SHA not installed.
    Please consider installing the Digest::SHA module.

    CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9715)
    Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
    .................................................. ................-----------DONE
    DEL(1/2): /root/.cpan/build/mod_perl-1.30-ecPAxP
    DEL(2/2): /root/.cpan/build/mod_perl-1.30-wU5SXs
    CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok (v2.012)
    libapreq-1.33/
    libapreq-1.33/MANIFEST
    libapreq-1.33/missing
    libapreq-1.33/Makefile.PL
    libapreq-1.33/libapreq.pod
    libapreq-1.33/acinclude.m4
    libapreq-1.33/lib/
    libapreq-1.33/lib/Apache/
    libapreq-1.33/lib/Apache/libapreq.pm
    libapreq-1.33/INSTALL
    libapreq-1.33/configure.in
    libapreq-1.33/eg/
    libapreq-1.33/eg/perl/
    libapreq-1.33/eg/perl/file_upload.pl
    libapreq-1.33/eg/perl/cookie.pl
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/testapreq/
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/testapreq/Makefile.apxs
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/testapreq/mod_testapreq.c
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/testapreq/Makefile.tmpl
    libapreq-1.33/eg/c/testapreq/mod_testapreq.module
    libapreq-1.33/mkinstalldirs
    libapreq-1.33/patches/
    libapreq-1.33/patches/apache-1.3+apreq.patch
    libapreq-1.33/patches/README
    libapreq-1.33/configure
    libapreq-1.33/typemap
    libapreq-1.33/aclocal.m4
    libapreq-1.33/ltmain.sh
    libapreq-1.33/ToDo
    libapreq-1.33/t/
    libapreq-1.33/t/TEST.PL
    libapreq-1.33/t/apreq/
    libapreq-1.33/t/apreq/inherit.t
    libapreq-1.33/t/apreq/big_input.t
    libapreq-1.33/t/apreq/cookie.t
    libapreq-1.33/t/apreq/request.t
    libapreq-1.33/t/request-inherit.pl
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/TestApReq/
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/TestApReq/inherit.pm
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/TestApReq/request.pm
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/TestApReq/big_input.pm
    libapreq-1.33/t/response/TestApReq/cookie.pm
    libapreq-1.33/CREDITS
    libapreq-1.33/README
    libapreq-1.33/Makefile.in
    libapreq-1.33/Request/
    libapreq-1.33/Request/Request.xs
    libapreq-1.33/Request/Makefile.PL
    libapreq-1.33/Request/Request.pm
    libapreq-1.33/c/
    libapreq-1.33/c/Makefile.noperl
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_request.h
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_cookie.h
    libapreq-1.33/c/Makefile.PL
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_multipart_buffer.h
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_request.c
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_multipart_buffer.c
    libapreq-1.33/c/apache_cookie.c
    libapreq-1.33/c/Makefile.in
    libapreq-1.33/c/Makefile.am
    libapreq-1.33/BUILD.sh
    libapreq-1.33/config.sub
    libapreq-1.33/META.yml
    libapreq-1.33/Cookie/
    libapreq-1.33/Cookie/Makefile.PL
    libapreq-1.33/Cookie/Cookie.pm
    libapreq-1.33/Cookie/Cookie.xs
    libapreq-1.33/Makefile.am
    libapreq-1.33/config.guess
    libapreq-1.33/LICENSE
    libapreq-1.33/install-sh
    libapreq-1.33/depcomp
    libapreq-1.33/INSTALL.MacOSX
    libapreq-1.33/Changes
    CPAN: File::Temp loaded ok (v0.16)

    CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GE/GEOFF/libapreq-1.33.tar.gz

    Please install mod_perl: 1.25 < version < 1.99
    (Can't locate mod_perl.pm in @INC (@INC contains: Apache-Test/lib
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
    Makefile.PL line 27.
    ) at Makefile.PL line 28.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 36.
    Warning: No success on command[/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
    Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent
    state
    GEOFF/libapreq-1.33.tar.gz
    /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL -- NOT OK
    Running make test
    Make had some problems, won't test
    Running make install
    Make had some problems, won't install
    Could not read '/root/.cpan/build/libapreq-1.33-77CYwI/META.yml'. Falling
    back to other methods to determine prerequisites
    Failed during this command:
    GEOFF/libapreq-1.33.tar.gz : writemakefile NO
    '/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512

    2) When trying to install mod_perl it can't find "apache src directory" and
    neither can I.)

    3) Searching for mod_perl.pm I find it here, and I update the $PERL5LIB env
    variable with this...
    export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi

    I get the following error...

    cpan[1]> install Apache::Cookie
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.15)
    Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:02:45 GMT
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    perl: relocation error:
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Compress/Raw/Zlib/Zlib.so:
    undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

  2. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Car54 wrote:
    > After upgrading to Perl 5.8.8 from 5.8.0 the following happens...

    Any time you change to a different perl, you must recompile mod_perl.

    > 2) When trying to install mod_perl it can't find "apache src directory" and
    > neither can I.)

    Download it from apache.org and install your new apache server along
    with mod_perl.

    > 3) Searching for mod_perl.pm I find it here, and I update the $PERL5LIB env
    > variable with this...
    > export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi

    Don't do that. You no longer have a valid mod_perl after changing to
    a new perl. You have to recompile it. Then modules that depend on
    mod_perl will stop complaining.

    - Perrin

  3. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Perrin Harkins wrote:

    > Download it from apache.org and install your new apache server along
    > with mod_perl.
    >
    > - Perrin

    I'm going to do that now, thanks Perrin.

    Bill

  4. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Hi Perrin,
    I went over to apache.org and I saw apache_1.3.41.tar.gz, but I'm not seeing
    mod_perl. Also, can you tell me where to find instructions to install
    them... do I do them together in one source directory with the standard
    configure/make/make install?

    Thanks a lot for your help, nobody else told me that mod_perl had to be
    recompiled after upgrading perl.

    Also... do you write perl scripts and do you know C++ ?

    Bill

  5. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Car54 wrote:
    > Hi Perrin,
    > I went over to apache.org and I saw apache_1.3.41.tar.gz, but I'm not seeing
    > mod_perl.

    mod_perl is found at perl.apache.org (which is also the first result if
    you google mod_perl).

    Again, at perl.apache.org there are lots of docs. Try this one:
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html

    > Thanks a lot for your help, nobody else told me that mod_perl had to be
    > recompiled after upgrading perl.

    mod_perl is an intimate relationship between Perl and Apache. Change
    either one and you need to recompile mod_perl.

    --
    Michael Peters
    Plus Three, LP

  6. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Michael Peters wrote:

    > Car54 wrote:
    >> Hi Perrin,
    >> I went over to apache.org and I saw apache_1.3.41.tar.gz, but I'm not
    >> seeing
    >> mod_perl.

    > mod_perl is found at perl.apache.org (which is also the first result if
    > you google mod_perl).
    >
    > Again, at perl.apache.org there are lots of docs. Try this one:
    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html
    >
    > Michael Peters
    > Plus Three, LP

    I'm very new at this and I already have apache installed and I just want to
    be sure that when I install it again it doesn't cause a problem with the
    software I have on the server that depends on it, along with being installed
    at the proper location.

    Yes I noticed "Getting your feet wet" over at apache.org yesterday the part
    that confused me is it talked about uncompressing apache and mod_perl but
    after that only talked about installing mod_perl. For a novice that's
    confusing.

    Thanks,
    Car54

  7. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Car54 wrote:

    > I'm very new at this and I already have apache installed and I just want to
    > be sure that when I install it again

    Install what again? Apache? Why would you want to re-install it? Just
    out of curiosity, how did you install Apache to begin with? And what OS
    are you running?

    > it doesn't cause a problem with the
    > software I have on the server that depends on it, along with being installed
    > at the proper location.

    Depends on what you mean by "proper location". By default it should be
    installed to a reasonable location.

    > Yes I noticed "Getting your feet wet" over at apache.org yesterday the part
    > that confused me is it talked about uncompressing apache and mod_perl but
    > after that only talked about installing mod_perl. For a novice that's
    > confusing.

    Actually, it says to install them both. From that page under the
    "Installing mod_perl" section it says:

    Finally, change to the Apache source distribution directory and run
    make install to create the Apache directory tree and install Apache's
    header files (*.h), default configuration files (*.conf), the httpd
    executable, and a few other programs.

    # cd ../apache_1.3.xx
    # make install

    --
    Michael Peters
    Plus Three, LP

  8. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Car54 wrote:
    > I'm very new at this and I already have apache installed and I just want
    > be sure that when I install it again it doesn't cause a problem with the
    > software I have on the server that depends on it, along with being
    > installed
    > at the proper location.

    I recommend compiling mod_perl as a DSO with APXS (Apache Extension Tool) so
    that you do not have to recompile apache. The "getting your feet wet"
    section doesn't mention this. But first read the "When DSO can be Used"
    section to make sure your Perl installation is compatible with that method.

    http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guid...SO_can_be_Used
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guid..._Tree_via_APXS

  9. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Bill Hudson wrote:
    > To be honest what you sent me is over my head.

    Did you read the docs that I linked to? What part of this is over your head?

    "To determine if you can use a DSO mod_perl with your version of Perl, first
    find out which malloc your Perl was built with by running:
    % perl -V:usemymalloc
    If you get:
    usemymalloc='n';
    then it means that Perl is using the system malloc, so mod_perl will work
    fine as DSO."

    "Here are the build steps:
    % tar xzvf mod_perl-1.xx.tar.gz
    % cd mod_perl-1.xx
    % perl Makefile.PL \
    USE_APXS=1 \
    WITH_APXS=/path/to/bin/apxs \
    EVERYTHING=1 \
    % make && make test && make install
    This will build the DSO libperl.so outside the Apache source tree with the
    new Apache 1.3 support tool apxs and install it into the existing Apache
    hierarchy."

  10. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Thanks,
    Car54

    Dondi Stroma wrote:

    > I recommend compiling mod_perl as a DSO with APXS (Apache Extension Tool)
    > so
    > that you do not have to recompile apache. The "getting your feet wet"
    > section doesn't mention this. But first read the "When DSO can be Used"
    > section to make sure your Perl installation is compatible with that
    > method.
    >
    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guid...SO_can_be_Used
    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guid..._Tree_via_APXS

  11. Re: Problem with mod_perl after upgrading to Perl 5.8.8

    Thanks Dondi, this worked great.

    Bill Hudson