framework for modperl applications - modperl

This is a discussion on framework for modperl applications - modperl ; I found that Catalyst is too huge to use. Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP applications? thanks. --penny...

  1. framework for modperl applications

    I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.
    Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    applications?
    thanks.

    --penny

  2. Re: framework for modperl applications

    Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2008 17:52:58 schrieb pennyyh@aol.co.uk:
    > I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.
    > Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications?
    > thanks.
    >
    > --penny

    I'm using HTML::Mason and MasonX::WebApp along with DBIx::Class as the main
    parts of my framwork.
    MasonX::WebApp allows (but does not force) me, to put my logic in .pm files
    and keep my mason components free from business logic , yet not entirely free
    from perl code, This is why I like it, I can still do small and simple things
    in my components and put my important stuff in .pm files.
    Noting to mention about DBIx::Class, either you like OR-Wrappers or not, but I
    would recommend it strongly.
    Session mgmt comes with MasonX::WebApp
    Internationalisation is done with Locale::Maketext,
    Logging with Log4perl, that's it. Switched from apache1 to apache2 recently
    with not too much trouble and I'm quite happy with this!

    For performance issues I'm running a lightweight frontend apche and a
    mod_perl-apache as reverse proxy for the backend (as described in mod_perl
    book).

    Rolf Schaufelberger
    www.mypxler.com

  3. Re: framework for modperl applications

    pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
    > I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.
    > Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications?
    > thanks.
    >
    > --penny

    Apache:ispatch (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Dispatch) is on
    lightweight end of the spectrum, one step removed from writing your
    application using PerlResponseHandlers. I'm not sure it qualifies as a
    framework though, maybe just a request framework. It has been measured
    as almost as fast as straight response handlers (assuming that hasn't
    changed from 0.09 to 0.10).

  4. Re: framework for modperl applications

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Fred Moyer wrote:
    > pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >> I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.
    >> Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    >> applications?
    >> thanks.

    My understanding is that Catalyst is as light as you want it to be.
    What is 'heavy' about it? What are you looking for in a framework?

    --
    ~Tyler

  5. Re: framework for modperl applications

    Most will argue that it's not considered a framework per se, but I like
    HTML::Template. It's more of a templating engine really.

    pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
    > I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.
    > Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications?
    > thanks.
    >
    > --penny

  6. Re: framework for modperl applications

    pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
    > I found that Catalyst is too huge to use.

    Catalyst is big because of all the things it can do. If you want all of
    that stuff for free you need a big framework.

    > Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications?

    I prefer CGI::Application. Just ignore the name, it works just peachy
    under mod_perl. It's a very simple framework by itself and has lots of
    plugins to give you things like sessions, configuration, form
    validation, etc.

    --
    Michael Peters
    Plus Three, LP

  7. Re: framework for modperl applications

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:52 AM, wrote:
    > Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications?

    http://perl.apache.org/products/app-server.html

    - Perrin

  8. Re: framework for modperl applications

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, pennyyh@aol.co.uk wrote:
    > I found that Catalyst is too huge to use. Other than
    > Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    > applications? thanks.

    You could help me debug Apache2::Controller. It is still
    unstable and incomplete, though. YAAF. --mark--

  9. Re: framework for modperl applications

    2008/7/17 Perrin Harkins :
    > On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:52 AM, wrote:
    >> Other than Catalyst, do you have any other framework suggested for MP
    >> applications?

    > http://perl.apache.org/products/app-server.html

    I would also suggest :

    http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/...web_frameworks