mod_proxy_html (reverse proxy) functionality for Apache 1 - modperl

This is a discussion on mod_proxy_html (reverse proxy) functionality for Apache 1 - modperl ; I need to implement the reverse proxy link-fixing behavior provided in Apache 2 by mod_proxy_html: http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/ but I need it in Apache 1. Some digging turned up Apache::ReverseProxy, which appears to have a nice spot in the code to access ...

  1. mod_proxy_html (reverse proxy) functionality for Apache 1

    I need to implement the reverse proxy link-fixing behavior provided in
    Apache 2 by mod_proxy_html:

    http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/

    but I need it in Apache 1.

    Some digging turned up Apache::ReverseProxy, which appears to have a
    nice spot in the code to access the response body before sending it back
    to the client.

    Are there any other solutions for Apache 1 before I start hacking on
    this module? I need solutions that run through Apache because I need the
    auth provided by an existing Apache module.

    Any issues other than dealing with an incorrect Content-length value?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    --
    Jim Brandt
    Administrative Computing Services

  2. Re: mod_proxy_html (reverse proxy) functionality for Apache 1

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Jim Brandt wrote:
    > Are there any other solutions for Apache 1 before I start hacking on this
    > module?

    The Apache::Filter stuff does work, but I don't see any advantage to
    using that in this case. You'd still have to do the proxy fetch
    yourself.

    - Perrin

  3. Re: mod_proxy_html (reverse proxy) functionality for Apache 1

    Turns out I was able to munge the pages on the way back using
    Apache::ReverseProxy.

    I did this by just hacking in my fixes, but I'm thinking this might be a
    useful feature to suggest to the author (with a patch, of course).

    At first I thought to offer some of the same functionality as
    mod_proxy_html (just the URL rewriting part). But I ended up needed to
    modify more than just the URLs in the pages coming through. So I thought
    why not just accept a subroutine reference and run the data coming back
    through whatever code the user provides?

    Any comments on that? What would be the best interface to define the
    subroutine reference? Any existing modules that accept this sort of
    configuration?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    --