ModPerl::Registry or ...? - modperl

This is a discussion on ModPerl::Registry or ...? - modperl ; Reading the docs, I'm a little confused. Is ModPerl::Registry specifically for emulating the CGI environment, or should I do something else if I plan to write to the API from scratch and don't need the backward compatibility?...

  1. ModPerl::Registry or ...?

    Reading the docs, I'm a little confused. Is ModPerl::Registry specifically for emulating the CGI environment, or should I do something else if I plan to write to the API from scratch and don't need the backward compatibility?

  2. Re: ModPerl::Registry or ...?

    On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 06:35 +0000, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
    > Reading the docs, I'm a little confused. Is ModPerl::Registry
    > specifically for emulating the CGI environment, or should I do
    > something else if I plan to write to the API from scratch and don't
    > need the backward compatibility?

    ModPerl::Registry is intended to provide some of the speed benefits of
    mod_perl to people with legacy CGI scripts, or for people who are more
    comfortable with the CGI idiom.

    As such, it does the job well, but there are also a number of gotchas
    that are introduced by suddenly making your scripts (a) persistent in
    memory and (b) potential closures - they don't always work as you
    previously expected.

    >From your posts on PerlMonks, I've seen that you are obviously not a

    beginner, and as you have no legacy system to support, I would recommend
    that you dive straight into mod_perl handlers.

    If you haven't already, start with:
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user...andler_Modules

    and read the rest of the docs
    thoroughly : http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/index.html

    Much of what is said in the mod_perl v1 books still stands. The things
    that have changed are detailed here:
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user...ng/compat.html

    For the most part, you'll find that you set up a standard way of
    receiving the request from MP, and returning the result, and the rest
    will just be normal Perl.

    good luck

    clint

+ Reply to Thread